Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts about modems with tweakable margins  (Read 7908 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Thoughts about modems with tweakable margins
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »

I recently installed a TG585V7 in an effort to get better sync speed following BT's assignment of a 15dB target margin.  The V7 doesn't allow you to override the margin, but it does sync at a vastly improved speed (nearly always >3Mbs, compared with nearly always <2Mbs ) compared to my old modem so I was initially happy.  Now the V7 a few weeks old it's proven unreliable, locking up solid every few days and needing power cycled to get back in business.  Recent comments from Kitz leave me feeling that this won't surprise anyone.

My initial thoughts are now to get a modem that allows margin tweaking, but I'm not so sure about that  for following reason.  Maybe I'm missing the point in which case please set me right...

...I live out in the sticks and power supply disruptions are surprisingly common.   I'd say once wvery two or three weeks on average, recently.  Now as far as I can make out, very few (if any?) modems allow a 'sticky' change to the margin to be configured such that it is retained after a power ciut.  I reason that after  a power cut, the modem will initially sync at a lower speed.  I can then resync it manually to get the margin back, but by that time my BRAS profile will already have been reduced (by the initial low sync) so it could be up to 3 days before it all works again.   I know that DLM is meant to use some kind of 'blip' logic so as to recover quickly from a single low-sync event, but I'm not sure it completely overcomes things.

So, is my reasoning valid and am I right proceed with caution?  And/or, are there any recommendations for modems that allow a sticky change to the margin?

Since I've already bought one new modem recently, I may struggle to get purchase approval for another from the Head of Household Accounting (my Girlfriend).   Any recomendations will have to be both convincing and inexpensive. ;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Thoughts about modems with tweakable margins
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »

Get a cheap (ex-Sky) Netgear DG834GT from fleabay.
You'll need to totally reset and reflash it - Google is your friend.

A mate of mine has exactly the same issue and BT will NOT reset him from 15dB despite it being due to a wiring fault now fixed, so he tweaks it himself with the DMT Tool and gets a maximum 8meg.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

Get a cheap (ex-Sky) Netgear DG834GT from fleabay.
You'll need to totally reset and reflash it - Google is your friend.

A mate of mine has exactly the same issue and BT will NOT reset him from 15dB despite it being due to a wiring fault now fixed, so he tweaks it himself with the DMT Tool and gets a maximum 8meg.

This would be your best option.

Plus, you would then be able to use DMT to adjust settings:D
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »

As well as that Sky router you could also consider a Speedtouch 585v6 (much better than a 585v7 IMO) running firmware 6.1.4.3 and use DMT tool to adjust the SNR margin (it sticks after a power cycle which is what you want).

Also If you do get a power cut you might want to try turning your router off during the cut so it doesn't come back on when the power comes on.  It sounds like when it's come back on it's resynced at a lower speed and within about an hour it will adjust your profile to a the corresponding lower rate.  If you turn your router back on at a time when it will be able to sync at the previous rate your profile shouldn't drop.  Obviously if you play with the SNR margin settings you may be able to get around the profile speed drop in that way.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »

That's interesting advice about switching off during a power outage.  Unfortunately these events usually
take place in the middle of the day when I'm out, I think it's just maintenance procedures by the suppliers.  The only evidence is that the various mains-powered clocks are all flashing to indicate power was lost.  A look at the modem log tells me exactly when it happened.

At the end of the day, I have a 56dB attenuation and so I don't to set target margin to anything too agressive, I just want to get back to the 9dB that I've had ever since demon went over to 8Mb adaptive, and so allow me to see some of the reward from cutting my bell wire a week or three ago.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »

Another good option is to get a DG834GT and flash it with the DGTeam firmware. This firmware provides all sorts of tweaks (including the target noise margin tweak) in its web interface, and the changes are saved and preserved over reboots.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

When the time is right (around the third glass of wine, this evening) I shall maybe enter into tentative negotiations for purchase approval.  I notice Amazon are currently pushing DG834GT for £56 with free p&p.  I doubt I'll do much better unless I settle for s/h (which I might). 

However, Netgear seem to have an awful lot of subtly different boxes, all with '834' as part of the model number.  Do I have to make sure I get that exact  'DG834GT' model or should I be tempted by bargain-offers for slightly different models.  I do need basic WiFi, but state-of-art wireless performance isn't too important to me as I've (too much time on my hands?) recently indulged in wired LAN around the house.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Yes there are loads of 834 models and they are different, often between versions, so stick to the GT for simplicity.
Avoid PN but N is very good (and expensive).
Fleabay will be cheaper than Amazon - maybe just £20, have a look? Search on "dg834gt" then "sky dg834gt". :blush:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:06 PM »

OK, will do.  My other half loves a bargain, and is well-used to fleabay, so that may actually help me to get my way.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »

It's always a good idea to keep the other half happy :)
  Eric

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »

OK, will do.  My other half loves a bargain, and is well-used to fleabay, so that may actually help me to get my way.

Do I detect a challenge here ?......."I've seen this one on Amazon for £x but if you can find one on eBay cheaper.........."

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »

Aaahh... I think I understand you.  That might work ;)

The only problem with eBay is payment, as Partner has a paypal account and I don't.  It's probably easiest all round if I just let her pay for it as well?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »

It's probably easiest all round if I just let her pay for it as well?

Definitely the best all round. She'll feel smug and superior, and you'll get a new router. :lol:
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

It's probably easiest all round if I just let her pay for it as well?

Definitely the best all round. She'll feel smug and superior, and you'll get a new router. :lol:

:lol:
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »

I must admit that Im very disappoined with my TG585v7.   For me at least it doesnt sync as well as my ST585v6 and shaves off around 200kbps on average (this is before tweaking).
I also get some very weird SNRM fluctuations that dont occur with any of the other routers that Ive ever tried on my line.
However I appear to have killed mine - its anything to do with me messing, and still had the standard firmware on.  - I had an electrician in who fitted a double socket, and he simply pulled out the fuses in the fuse box before he commenced work.   Perhaps I should have powered down the router properly first before he started work..  but  its been dead since. :cry:

The chipset/board inside these routers is actually inferior to the parts they used on the v6's and Ive recently heard that the v7's were designed specifically to be cheaper at the request of a UK ISP.

For my own line the ST585v6 works best.. but I also have a cheapy sky router which I flashed which works almost as good.  Yet on another line the flashed skyrouter works best and gives it about a boost of around 1Mb.

Theres a guide on the main site How to flash the Sky DG834GT with standard Netgear firmware   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2