Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Master Socket Advice?  (Read 11920 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Master Socket Advice?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »

The sync speed and SNR seem fine- still that damn gap though  :no:

If youve just taken those this evening then it looks ok - since iirc its normally evenings when your line starts being silly.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »

The sync speed and SNR seem fine- still that damn gap though  :no:

If youve just taken those this evening then it looks ok - since iirc its normally evenings when your line starts being silly.

Yes, the line being silly, is it possible it is REIN?

I haven't really had a chance to sync in the morning with (hopefully) 8128kbps and then monitor with router stats.

As for the gap, I have connected to the master and it is still there, although it is a lot smaller in the morning. Would it be causing problems then?

On a plus note, the SNR is now always above 6dB, except for the occasional dip down to 5.9dB. It is all looking up...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »

(hopefully) 8128kbps
Isn't it interleaved, in which case maybe not?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »

(hopefully) 8128kbps
Isn't it interleaved, in which case maybe not?

Well, that is a story of its own!

When I sync up in the mornings (using DMT to adjust SNR) I get the 8128kbps sync and Interleave is only on for upstream ???

Tiscali refused to adjust my SNR Target or switch interleave off, so I have to use DMT now ::)

I will see how it goes in the morning and post some stats.
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »

:no:  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:

Jamie, we are not interested in your stats. It is like reading War and Peace over and over again.

I don't think anyone else in the UK is having the amount of problems that you appear to have, so have you considered that they are mostly self produced by doing things to your setup that, quite often on these forums, you have been advised NOT to do.

As you seem to be able to get online all day and night, just be satisfied and consider yourself luckier than some who are having problems (and I mean PROBLEMS) with their internet connections and speeds.

Please, please, stop boring everyone with your endless reporting of the actions that you are taking and the neverending flood of stats.

Thanks for a bit of peace and quiet.
dave

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

:no:  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:

Jamie, we are not interested in your stats. It is like reading War and Peace over and over again.

I don't think anyone else in the UK is having the amount of problems that you appear to have, so have you considered that they are mostly self produced by doing things to your setup that, quite often on these forums, you have been advised NOT to do.

As you seem to be able to get online all day and night, just be satisfied and consider yourself luckier than some who are having problems (and I mean PROBLEMS) with their internet connections and speeds.

Please, please, stop boring everyone with your endless reporting of the actions that you are taking and the neverending flood of stats.

Thanks for a bit of peace and quiet.
dave

All I seem to get is endless posts regarding the fact that I cannot post stats asking to see if they are OK and that they are what they should be.

I started this thread for advice on the extension wiring and to then post the outcome (in terms of stats!)

I thought this was a Help & Advice forum, and that is what I am asking, Help and Advice regarding the stats of my line.

[Sorry if I sound ratty, but I had to get the point accross that all I get is constant posts saying don't post anymore stats, when all I want is advice on them!]

[rant over]
Kind Regards
Jamie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 10:22:58 PM »

Jamie,
If you go back to the first post in this thread, you were simply asking about wiring up your master socket.
You got plenty of answers to your questions so why do we have to have a minute by minute commentary about you testing it out?
No-one else does this type of reporting.

dave

I started this thread for advice on the extension wiring and to then post the outcome

Well you are 'on line' so the outcome was a sucess. Well done for doing the job correctly.
You don't need stats to show that you are on line and if they differ from before you did the job, all that can blamed is mechanical connections in the wiring that you installed. So the only real advice you could get would be to check all the connections again and ensure that the 'pushins' are tight with a Krone tool.

No more is needed.

dave
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:28:41 PM by dave.m »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »

Jamie,
If you go back to the first post in this thread, you were simply asking about wiring up your master socket.
You got plenty of answers to your questions so why do we have to have a minute by minute commentary about you testing it out?

dave

I understand what you're saying.

Therefore, if I have fixed the issue tomorrow, what should I do, new thread, what?

I like to tell people that the advice they have given has worked :)

As you gave advice on the subject of NTE5, btw, the article on clarity regarding adding an extension NTE5 is worth a thought. :)

I like to be different (but not awkward :-X)

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »

Well, I'm going to jump in here as a "newbie" who has made a minor comment on this thread....
The subject looks relevant to my interests (hence the comment I posted), but the content is, unfortunately (looking back) pretty tedious.
There are far too many posts in this Forum to follow them all, so you have to judge by the information available, mainly the thread title initially.
So yes, please start a new thread with a more appropriate title. I suspect that I'll ignore it.  ;)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »

Right, well I need some advice on the cabling inside the Master.

With the cables coming from the drop wire, do they go on the top of the IDC or the bottom?

Kind Regards
Jamie

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »

Logically I'd probably put the drop wire cores in first, but why would it matter?

Why not get a proper NTE5A and wire that in LEGALLY as the first extension - just a short length with 2 wires connected and you effectively have a proper setup for under £20 and a few minutes work.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

That's good advice. Leave the drop wire alone Jamie!
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:45 AM »

That's good advice. Leave the drop wire alone Jamie!

Its not easy when you want to put another extension in though!

I have finished the extensions and it all fixed so...

I really do wish that Engineer I had round had put an NTE5 in  :'(
Kind Regards
Jamie

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »

Surely that's the whole point of an NTE5A, separation of your wiring from BT's to make it easier.
Maybe you need to do some more research?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »

Surely that's the whole point of an NTE5A, separation of your wiring from BT's to make it easier.
Maybe you need to do some more research?

No, what I was trying to say is it is difficult to avoid BTs wiring when you have the old type Master socket.

I know that an NTE5 separates BT from your extensions, you connect the Faceplate to the extensions and the incoming drop wire goes in "behind the scenes" :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: 1 [2] 3