Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Digital Film Scanner  (Read 17952 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Digital Film Scanner
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »

USB Digital 35mm Film and Slide Scanner.
In Netto from Monday 27th for £49.99
Not sure how good it is but people are always asking how to copy slides to a computer, so may be worth a look.

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=wwqfpq#/page6/

On the left hand side of the page, click to enlarge.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Digital Film Scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »

Funny enough, I'd never seen one of those before at a reasonable price... until I saw something on QVC within the past week.

QVC were offering it at a "specially reduced" price of £65.76 + P&P - linky

reason I mention it...  is just  loook how similar the 2 of them appear to be - right down to the tiny triangle above the slide feeder.

I'll eat my hat if that isnt made by the same manufacturer.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »

Your hat is safe, they are one and the same thing, manufactured/distributed by Veho.

Read all about them at www.veho-uk.com

I spend a bit of time going round several imaging sites and have seen reports and reviews about this little device, and sad to say the concensus of opinion seems to be that it is prudent to keep your cash in your pockets.
The quality of the final image appears to be less than you may wish and there are horror stories of the software causing crashes and breakdowns on all platforms.

Having said that, it is considerably cheaper than a dedicated slide scanner but I think that a decent flatbed scanner with a slide insert from Epson or Canon etc will give very much better results and at about the same cost...........such a flatbed will offer a much higher resolution to the finished product than will this little baby.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »

Thanks for the update, TD.
I posted the link with a little scepticism because of the low priceand not having even seen it as it is not onsale until next week.
The thing is that some bargains are not 'too good  to be true' as in the case of my digital camera from Argos, reduced from £159 to £59 just because Hitachi had come out with a newer model and Argos wanted to clear the shelves.

dave

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »

Dave, I appreciate why you posted this thread, and I do appreciate that there are good bargains to be had..........my post was not intended as a criticism of anything other than the product itself.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »

Your hat is safe, they are one and the same thing, manufactured/distributed by Veho.

Read all about them at www.veho-uk.com

I spend a bit of time going round several imaging sites and have seen reports and reviews about this little device, and sad to say the concensus of opinion seems to be that it is prudent to keep your cash in your pockets.
The quality of the final image appears to be less than you may wish and there are horror stories of the software causing crashes and breakdowns on all platforms.

Having said that, it is considerably cheaper than a dedicated slide scanner but I think that a decent flatbed scanner with a slide insert from Epson or Canon etc will give very much better results and at about the same cost...........such a flatbed will offer a much higher resolution to the finished product than will this little baby.

I have an Epson V350 combined flatbed and slide scanner and it is superb.  So much so, I have gone back and rescanned all my 35mm slieds and negs because the qulaity is so good.  They had previously been done on a Nikon "professional" scanner.  Hope my personal experience helps anyone who is looking.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »

To both Dave & TD

If it was not for people like yourselves who go to the trouble of informing others, then we/I would be none the wiser.

Now as it happens I know someone who only the other day who was asking about a "cheap one" to be able to practise etc before going the whole hog and getting something that is supposed to be the bees knees of slide scanners.

So without various inputs into a topic we could be buying blind.

Camallison.
I also have a flatbed scanner "a Medion" and for as much as I use it find the slide adaptor and quality is pretty good.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:57:41 AM »

>> So without various inputs into a topic we could be buying blind.

Agreed :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:32:53 AM »

Slightly off topic - but not - because I thought I'd tell a tale about how everyones input is valid....

After a few years of hard useage, use my hair straighteners broke, any how mum took sympathy (or was fed up of me borrowing hers!) and gave me £50 towards some as an early xmas pressie.

I didnt have a clue which ones to get..  I have very long hair, thats thick and is naturally curly, so they would have to be decent ones.. as some really just dont work on my hair. 
I so wanted a pair of GHD's as my hair-dresser and everyone else seems to rave about them..  but I couldnt afford the £100+.. so off me and mum went and was looking in the big Curries store at all the different makes that were available.  I would have liked to have a proper look at them, but the sales assistant was hovering over me, which was a bit off putting and I walked out empty handed, but a choice narrowed down to 2 or 3 pairs.

Anyhow when I got home I did a bit of searching on the net to see what people said about them, one of my choices a fair few people seemed to be complaining that the plates easily cracked... so then I started looking at my 2nd choice and people were raving about them, saying they were actually better than GHD's... and then on another review site someone mentioned how they were on offer at Amazon.

I could hardly believe that the ones that were on offer in Comet for £60, were actually retailing on special offer for only £30 at Amazon..  and I start thinking no surely not there has to be a catch, but I ordered anyhow based on what others online had said.  Parcel duly arrived, opened.. and of course gave them a go.. and yes they are every bit as good as the GHDs that Ive tried.

Chuffed - you bet I am..  the moral being....

I couldnt afford "the best" and was looking for something a bit cheaper... but if I hadnt seen a discussion on another site about them, then I wouldnt have known which ones to go for... nor would I have thought of looking on Amazon of all places for them either, who had them at half the price of all the other usual places like Argos etc where they retail @ £60/£70.

All be it the information was originally obtained from another site.. (I was hardly going to ask on a techy forum who uses what hair straighners would I).. but the point being is that its info thats started in a thread such as this that can be useful to others... and if someone hadnt started the convo.. then others chip in about gettting such and such a make which were as good, then I would have either paid a lot more, or ended up with a pair that I wouldnt have been quite so happy with.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

... nor would I have thought of looking on Amazon of all places

Funny you should say that Kitz...  I've just now ordered a new mobile phone from Amazon - not the first place I'd have thought of looking, but I was browsing Pricerunner for phones, and Amazon seemed to come up trumps for most models.  Anyway I started browsing round the site and was amazed at the range of phones they do (and the reasonable prices).  So now I've actually broken my Amazon shopping duck.

My old mobie died a natural death after getting waterlogged in a downpour the other week - tried all the usual stuff like letting it dry out on a radiator for a few days, but the display went into terminal decline and now is as dead as John Cleese's parrot.  Panomania tells me that when they go out on military field exercises they put their phones in re-sealable freezer bags.

Gone a bit off topic, but as Kitz has already mentioned, all input is (hopefully) appreciated.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »

Just as an update, new phone arrived yesterday (3 working days) and I'm very happy with it. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-1208-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B0012RESDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225388666&sr=8-1
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

anything