Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I Need a BT Modem, but which one?  (Read 17759 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
I Need a BT Modem, but which one?
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:06:07 AM »

I Need a BT Broad Band Modem, but which one?
Currently running XP with BT Yahoo and a 2Mb connection.

A friend of mine has just got a Laptop and wants to network it with a wireless router.
She has already purchased a Belkin wireless router but that can always be returned to Currys.

The problem is, her existing BT modem is USB and not RJ45.

1. Can she replace this BT modem her self, or has it got to come from BT?
2. If she can buy one, what should or can she get?

3. The bad news is, apparently I have to take her shopping "today" Wednesday afternoon, so I don't have much time to try and sort out what she needs.

Thanks.
After looking around, am I correct in thinking that a "ADSL Modem Router" will plug directly into her telephone filter/splitter?
Will that do the same job as a Modem and a Router?

Sorry if this is all very vague, but modems and routers are not something I had had much dealings with.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:40:24 AM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I Need a BT Modem, but which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »

Unfortunately your friend has not made the best choice if what she's bought is just a router, as opposed to a modem/router. If it's not too late, her best option would be to take it back and swap it for a wireless modem/router such as the Netgear DG834G or GT. Failing that, she needs an ethernet-connected ADSL modem, see http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=34 but you probably won't find them in the high street.
If she really can't return the router, probably the best option would be to sell it on EBay or something like that, and buy a DG834G(T) or similar to use instead. PC World is full of wireless modem/routers, and they've got a sale on today.
Good luck with the shopping! :thumbs:

Eric

PS Yes, she can use alternatives to the BT-supplied device. She won't get technical support from BT, but it will work fine and the support is available here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:42:48 AM by roseway »
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »

Thanks Roseway.
PS, I have added some extra info on my original post.

Is the DG834GUK the same, only I notice it says!
Data transfer rate  54 Mbits per second.

Or I found this one earlier of which the write-up appears to be what she needs.
Netgear DG632

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0477221974.1167200876@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcaddjkellhkdcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=117029&category_oid=

Sorry if I am being a pain, but I don't have the faintest idea where these are concerned and would prefer to go into the shop "knowing" most of what I want, instead of having to rely on what they want to sell you.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »

An ADSL modem/router does the whole job in one box. At one end it connects to the ADSL side of a filter/splitter, and at the other end it connects to an ethernet connection on the PC. No software has to be installed (it's a computer in its own right and works independently of the PC). To set it up you simply use a browser to access its configuration utility; the manual will describe this in detail. If it also has wireless then other computers can also be linked to it wirelessly.
The Netgear DG632 is a modem/router, so it isn't really the right device for connecting to a separate router. It may be possible to configure it to work as a modem without the router function, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about this model so I can't advise. The DG834GUK would be fine as an all-in-one device - the 54Mbps figure refers to the maximum speed of the wireless function which is far greater than the ADSL speed. So your friend would have a pretty fast network connection between the laptop and the desktop PC via the wireless link, and a full-speed ADSL connection to both machines.

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:59 AM »

Thanks, much appreciated and I'll let you know in due course how it goes.  ???

I'm off out now, so as to save peoples time, but by all means if you want to add anything it might be of use to someone else.

BFN

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:18:53 AM »

as already mentioned the dg632 is an adsl modem router and it should therefore be possible to use it in modem only mode to connect to the belkin using that as the wireless device.
The dg632 only has one ethernet port, and you would be using the belkin as a router and switch and wireless device.

To do so your best bet would be to turn off DHCP on both of them and manually configure the IP addresses on the LAN side.  You would also have to set the IP addresses of both devices in the same range.

TBH it would be better (and far less messing around) to return the belkin and get an all in one device such as the Netgear DG834G or DG834GT
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:55:39 AM »

Well, what can I say?

WHAT A B.... NIGHTMARE.
The instruction's state 10 minutes "I jokingly said and 3 hours to read the two small pages of instructions"

> TBH it would be better (and far less messing around) to return the belkin and get an all in one device
Sorry too late. (unfortunately).

The story/saga:
I changed the Belkin for the Netgear DG834GT with a DGB111GTUK "USB Dongle" for (?64.99).
Started the install at 4pm and just left at 12pm, and none the wiser. (no it's still not working)
Just one catastrophe after another.

I removed the BT SmoothTouch modem unit and replaced it with the Netgear, at first I managed to get onto the internet "or at least I think I did" but from then on-wards everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Most of the time I could not even re-enter into the configuration of http//192.168.0.1 to check the settings, let alone able to carry out any changes.

I have to say, although I have no faith in System Restore, "thank god it works on this PC because it certainly had it's fair share of usage today, as it was the only way of being able to get back to some sort of starting point of the previous day, to be able to try, try, try and more tries.  :wall:

Then I realised that the old BT SmoothTouch was still showing, so deleted that, and you guessed it, it made no difference. :scare:

The strange thing is that the PC is showing connected on the task bar, but will not allow a connection, also when switching on the laptop this also showed as receiving a connection, but again would not allow the connection to open.

Obviously the PC (forget the laptop as that will have to wait) is not communicating properly with the modem router to be able to configure the settings etc.

Question:
With the DGB111GTUK "USB Dongle" am I correct in saying that, that is to be installed onto a PC that can be set-up on the network?
(Although the laptop has built-in wireless connectivity and therefore does not need it) so basically it can stay in the box or go onto a third PC at some other time.

Your reply to this last question would be appreciated, because I am now torn between me saying it does not need to be used as it is a "receiver" and my friend/neighbour saying it might need to be connected to the main PC.

I have to say the instructions as they are, are not user friendly at all, yes I know a small amount but the info given is so unmeaning-full, it's beyond belief.
With two lots of instructions and neither explain what connects where. (except where the RJ11 and RJ45 cables connect too).

Any-way, if any one can just let me know with regards to the last question it's most appreciated as it will put my mind at ease and let me start "All over again later today"

Thanks, one very unhappy frustrated person.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:07:01 AM »

Oh dear, I'm sorry you had all that trouble OF. Let's try to break the problem down:

Your friend has a desktop PC and wants to add a laptop to the network, yes? First you should set up the router using a direct connection from the desktop PC, so remove the USB dongle for the moment, and connect the router to an ethernet port on the PC (I'm assuming it has one). The PC should get its IP address from the router automatically, and then you can access the router setup screens and enter the logon details. That should be all that's necessary, and the internet should be accessible.

You could now install the dongle and remove the direct ethernet connection, but it's really best to keep one machine directly connected to the router in case there are any wireless problems. If you really want to use the dongle, then it has to be installed, and presumably it came with a setup CD. But personally I think they are horrible things, fraught with problems, and your friend would be better off flogging it.

If the PC hasn't got an ethernet connection then I suggest that you spend a few more quid on a cheap network card. It will be a lot less bother than the wireless dongle.

Having got things working with the desktop PC, you can then configure the wireless connection for the laptop. Make sure that you set it up to use WPA encryption for security.

Eric
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:11:01 AM by roseway »
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »

> > Your friend has a desktop PC and wants to add a laptop to the network, yes?
Yes,

>> First you should set up the router using a direct connection from the desktop PC,
Did that.

>> Connect the router to an ethernet port on the PC (I'm assuming it has one).
Yes, did that.

>> The PC should get its IP address from the router automatically, and then you can access the router setup screens and enter the logon details.
That is where the problem seems to be, sometimes it lets me in, but usually only after a System Restore.

>> That should be all that's necessary, and the internet should be accessible.
(famous last words)

>> You could now install the dongle and remove the direct ethernet connection, but it's really best to keep one machine directly connected to the router in case there are any wireless problems.
Agreed, there is no need to remove the ethernet cable as the main PC never gets moved.

>> If you really want to use the dongle, then it has to be installed, and presumably it came with a setup CD.
>> But personally I think they are horrible things, fraught with problems, and your friend would be better off flogging it.
Agreed, the dongle is surplus to requirements.

>> If the PC hasn't got an ethernet connection then I suggest that you spend a few more quid on a cheap network card.
>> It will be a lot less bother than the wireless dongle.
No problem there.

>> Having got things working with the desktop PC, you can then configure the wireless connection for the laptop.
Agreed. But I need to get the PC working first which is the problem.

>> Make sure that you set it up to use WPA encryption for security.
I will look at this later.
I have downloaded some instructions from the Netgear site, just have to wait and see how it turns out.

I am also going to remove and replace the "BlackIce firewall" when I go there shortly, because I don't like it and it seems to have a mind of it's own, even when disconnected from startup in configsys it still pops-up from time-to-time.

Possibly one of the problems is that in the past she has let people "who know a LOT LESS than myself" on it to do "adjustments" and install programs, "most of which are games which are now time expired"

Again, thanks for the help, it is much appreciated and even though I thought it may have been myself, it now does not seem to be, as I have so-far done as it should have been done.

Let you know how it goes later. ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »

I am also going to remove and replace the "BlackIce firewall" when I go there shortly, because I don't like it and it seems to have a mind of it's own, even when disconnected from startup in configsys it still pops-up from time-to-time.
I don't know anything about BlackIce, but it could well be your problem. Software firewalls are rather notorious for creating as many problems as they fix :) The router has a pretty good firewall built in, so she won't be at risk with the software firewall removed.

Possibly one of the problems is that in the past she has let people "who know a LOT LESS than myself" on it to do "adjustments" and install programs, "most of which are games which are now time expired"
It's certainly well worth getting rid of them, and cleaning out as much junk as possible, although it's unlikely (I think) to be the cause of the problem.
I assume that she has got a virus checker? If not, install AVG before you do anything else.

Good luck!

Eric

Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 02:38:07 AM »

I don't know anything about BlackIce, but it could well be your problem.

The SAGA continues. But does not end "yet"

Installing the router etc was not the problem, neither was the firewall "as it happens"
The problem turned out to be her "PASSWORD" or should I say PaSSword's.

Not only does she have several, but did/does not know which one is for what.
So after trying many of the various options, CAPS, small, Caps and small letter combinations, I gave up and phoned BT and got the password changed.  (which has now caused the next problem).
(Router install "10 minutes" to get up and running on the internet)  :clap:

However, with changing the password, somewhere along the line her PalTalk, Messenger, Outlook Express plus a couple of other things now no longer work (wont allow sign-on) even trying to change the password does not seem to work.

Unfortunately I had done a thorough system clean-up "well it was working okay" at the time before I started, which has now left me unable to go back before I cleaned-up.
 :no:

So 10 minutes is now going to stretch into at least 4 full days. :wall:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »

Hmm.. I don't really see how changing the ADSL password could affect those other things, but then I don't understand Windows. So long as the PC ethernet interface works, getting the router working shouldn't involve any changes in the PC at all.
Still, I admire your persistence in helping a friend, OF. I guess it's better for the soul than hanging around on street corners watching the girls go by. :)

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 01:18:55 PM »

I guess it's better for the soul than hanging around on street corners watching the girls go by. :)

Who do you think you're trying to kid.  :no:

PS, All royalties for this "Concise Edition" will be going to the "LCB" (Loss Causes Brigade). :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 03:39:51 PM »

sheesh saga indeed.

Glad you got the actual net sorted - as regards to paltalk etc then as roseway says these should not be affected by the change of adsl password - although you will have to input her new passy in OE for her to be able to collect and send mail.

Somewhere along the line I think BlackIce is probably what caused the problems earlier.
Im with roseway on the " dont need a software firewall" with the Netgear.
I know some would argue otherwise - but I wont go into that debate in here as Im sure youre pulling your hair out enough as it is.

Suffice to say Ive not used a software firewall for several years.  The main thing to make sure is that she keeps her AV and malware protection (ie spybot) up to date.

Check that theres no trace of another firewall on there, or other progs that could be limiting internet access.
Also make sure that software from the old modem is removed.  More than once Ive seen conflicts after installing a router simply because the old modem software is still installed. (the speedtouch 330 drivers have been the culprits for the ones that Ive seen).

One other thing occurs - with paltalk - you sometimes need to port forward so that she can use the voice facilities.

This page may be a godsend for you

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834GT/DG834GTindex.htm

The paltalk specific page for the dg834gt is here
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834GT/PalTalk.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »

Nearly there  :clap:

She actually sorted the BT Openworld software etc by downloading and reinstalling the Yahoo / BT software herself after I left this morning at 1:00am.

Although it now seems to be working okay except the file sharing part, each PC does not see the shared folder from each other.
At the moment both PC's set as MSHOME.

So as most things are now working except the Networking of the Laptop and Desktop, (which I might give up on) and let her get it sorted by a pro'

One problem that keeps showing on startup is a message saying:

"SmartBridge Alerts: MotiveSB.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

Any ideas please.

More to come, maybe.

(Phone rang at 2:00am, other friends car broke down 40 miles away and needed a tow).
HE'S A MECHANIC  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything