Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Broadband speed and connection  (Read 6995 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Broadband speed and connection
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »

>> sods law i think

isnt it just :/

>> I hope turning it of when it is not in use will help

You shouldnt really have to since theyre designed to be on 24/7  :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »

Just a couple of things to mention.

Speedtouch routers, whilst good, can get very hot-  The air vents are on the bottom  I personally run a ST585v6 upside down, and I know several others that do similar, by propping it up etc so that it can increase air flow.
If its working hard (more traffic or dealing with more FECs) then theres a chance it can get warmer than normal.

Also with you saying its not occured when as many people have been around? Check the location, it it by anything electrical that could be being switched on that could occur to interfere with the signal.

The ST585v6 is an excellent router, but the external shell design is not the best.  As you say the vents are on the wrong side.  The curved sides are a nuisance and they used to be sold with a little plastic cradle which allowed you to stand it up but for whatever reason (cost probably) Thomson decided to not supply it (I didn't get one with mine).  I use a couple of big blobs of good old blu-tack to stand it up on end.  At least the shell of the v7 is now square and can be stood on end, although it unfortunately doesn't have the same chipset as the v6.

Although some people may find this a bit extreme I annually open up my hardware and carefully remove any dust.  I also if possible tend to stand up my equipment with the psu at the high point as I have found that this generally tends to be the warmest part of the device, and doing this helps to prevent thermally stressing other internal components.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:37:09 PM by orainsear »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

good rule of thumb I use with heat is if you place your palm on the router, If it were a cup of tea or coffee would you still drink it, if the answers yes then the routers too hot. Note the voyagers seem to run a bit walmer than other routers

tarka

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »

I noticed mine was a little hot so ive had it standing up on end against the wall, at an angle so it wont fall over. Since doing that its been cool all the time.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

Another thing you can do is stick some blobs of blue tack to the bottom rubber feet to make it higher of the surface.

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather
Pages: 1 [2]

anything