Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broadband speed and connection  (Read 6996 times)

whitlog

Broadband speed and connection
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »

Hello

I live with 5 other people, I got my broadband (AOL) moved from my house to this house and in the evening we seem to get very poor download speed

we all use wireless, but all have good to excellent signal

I just ran a speed check at click here

and our current download is 3792Kbps with a upload of 348Kbps

at night this really drops and sometimes we even lose the connection for a hour or so.

I understand evening is a peak time so this can affect it but is there anything we can do to improve it?

Thanks

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Broadband speed and connection
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

Could we maybe have a look at your line stats?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

This will give us some indication of your lines status??
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »

>> at night this really drops and sometimes we even lose the connection for a hour or so

It sounds like that you may have a problem related to Low SNR.
First signs are normally a noticeable slow down in speeds due to packets being dropped as the signal quality deteriorates and your SNR Margin starts going down.

If you want to post your linestats we can have a quick look to see if we can see anything obvious.
Theres also a few things you could perhaps try to help improve your connection.

---
edit
jids post wasnt there when I started mine :)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:52:37 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

whitlog

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »

Hello, thank you for the replies, I think this is the info you need, let me know if you need anything else

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,192

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   272.14 / 747.94

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   11.0 / 18.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   27.0 / 14.0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »

Hello, thank you for the replies, I think this is the info you need, let me know if you need anything else

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,192

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   272.14 / 747.94

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   11.0 / 18.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   27.0 / 14.0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

Excellent, you have a very short line! 18dB attenuation is excellent and you are getting the most from your line.

When this happens tonight, post these stats again. As kitz mentioned this maybe SNR related.

Of what I can see the 14dB SNR is excellent and you have no errors at all :)

Also, what Make and Model of router do you have?
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »

hmmm thats stats look good and it doesnt look like the type of line that you would normally expect to have SNR problems, unless something is wrong with the internal wiring... or if something gets switched on that interfers with the adsl signal.

When you say the internet connection drops - do you mean it looses sync with the exchange?  This would normally be indicated by a green DSL light on your router.

[edit]
whoops jid beat me again.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

whitlog

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »

Ok great I will repost them again tonight, right now my PC is the only one using the internet, so I wonder if when more are on tonight at the same time that it will affect it, it always seems to be fine in the day, the router is THOMSON ST585v6sl which AOL sent me

The pattern so far is that evening onwards it really slows down then sometimes the internet light on the router goes red and we have no connection, I have at times tried to reboot the router but even if that connects it it it is really slow and acts more like a old dial up  ::)

I usually make sure we turn the router of at night as well after everyone has finished with it but not sure if that will help or not

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:03:07 PM by whitlog »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

Ok great I will repost them again tonight, right now my PC is the only one using the internet, so I wonder if when more are on tonight at the same time that it will affect it, it always seems to be fine in the day, the router is THOMSON ST585v6sl which AOL sent me

Thanks

Well, you could use RouterStats to monitor the SNR in a graph if you would like.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Scroll down the link until you get to RouterStats Lite, install it and then select your router from the list.

This will then monitor your connection and you (and we) will be able to see what the SNR is doing and if it causing the problems you are having. :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

whitlog

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »

I have installed that programme and it is running now, how long should I run it for and what info would you need for me to post from it?

Thanks  :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »

I have installed that programme and it is running now, how long should I run it for and what info would you need for me to post from it?

Thanks  :)

Well make sure it is running during the periods that the drop outs happen. You will hopefully be seeing lovely lines on the graph soon:)

The graph on Downstream Noise Margin is what we need to see, so post it say half an hour after the "drop out". There should be an option to save to file or copy to clipboard.

Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »

Did you manage to get any results from RouterStats at all? :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

whitlog

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »

Hi

ye I have been running it at different times in the evening and it is always pretty much a straight line with upstream around 14 and down around 28 on the Noise margin graph, thou in the last 2 nights not many people have been on line at the same time in the house. the speed has been ok as well,

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »

Hi

ye I have been running it at different times in the evening and it is always pretty much a straight line with upstream around 14 and down around 28 on the Noise margin graph, thou in the last 2 nights not many people have been on line at the same time in the house. the speed has been ok as well,

Are you still getting no connection at certain times?

Is it possible that you could post your stats again? And maybe a screenshot of the Downstream noise graphs during the time of the issues?

Cheers

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »

Just a couple of things to mention.

Speedtouch routers, whilst good, can get very hot-  The air vents are on the bottom  I personally run a ST585v6 upside down, and I know several others that do similar, by propping it up etc so that it can increase air flow.
If its working hard (more traffic or dealing with more FECs) then theres a chance it can get warmer than normal.

Also with you saying its not occured when as many people have been around? Check the location, it it by anything electrical that could be being switched on that could occur to interfere with the signal.
-----

whitlog

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:31 AM »

Hi since i posted it has not gone down, sods law i think  ::)

if it does go down again i will post the stats at the time etc, I have also now propped it up so it gets more vent, I hope turning it of when it is not in use will help but i am still wanting to see how it acts when  more people are using it at peek time
Pages: [1] 2

anything