Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ST585-v6 Updating IP Profile  (Read 3160 times)

Mick

• Reg Member
ST585-v6 Updating IP Profile
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »

Hi All,

I'm helping a friend with a ST585 and I want to guide him over the phone to log off and back on with his ISP (but not resync with the exchange) so that his IP Profile gets updated.  If he resync's at night he will get a lower sync speed and IP Profile - so I am keen to avoid that.  What shall I ask him to do on the GUI or telnet?
Regards,
Mick

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ST585-v6 Updating IP Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »

Logging off and on again won't have any effect on the IP profile. What exactly are you trying to achieve?
  Eric

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »

Hmm, on my set up I have a modem (atm bridge) and a separate router that deals with the PPPoE authentication.  When I power cycle the router my IP profile is updated upwards.  As long as I do not reboot the modem my link to the BT exchange and sync speed stay the same.

So, I was going to try the same with my friend's ST585 because his connection is wropey and a full resync will drop both his connection speed and his IP profile.
Regards,
Mick

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

You can't force an increase in the IP profile that way. I would say that, if power cycling your router seemed to do that, then it must have been coincidence. The IP profile is fixed by the exchange equipment depending on the connection speed, and it wouldn't be affected by a PPP logoff/logon.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »

The IPprofile follows the sync speed... therefore its the change in sync speed that can alter it.

If the IP profile has increased after say 3 days of stability - it shouldnt need a resync to pick up the new IP profile.. as the IP profile is an artificial throttling done at the RAS, which once lifted you should see an improvement without having to perform a resync.

A PPP restart shouldnt make any difference to the IP profile limitations... but may clear any associated ISP restrictions that may have been set.

I'm pretty sure that the ST 585 does allow just termination of the PPP session only, but I cant check since my connection uses Routed EthoA rather than PPPoA... so Im going off memory 

Open the web interface.

Left hand menu > Broadband Connection
This opens a screen which will show 2 sections - DSL and Internet

DSL is sync  -
Internet is PPP  - iirc theres a "Disconnect" button in the Internet section.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:58:23 PM »

Thanks for this!

The IPprofile follows the sync speed... therefore its the change in sync speed that can alter it.

If the IP profile has increased after say 3 days of stability - it shouldnt need a resync to pick up the new IP profile.. as the IP profile is an artificial throttling done at the RAS, which once lifted you should see an improvement without having to perform a resync.

A PPP restart shouldnt make any difference to the IP profile limitations... but may clear any associated ISP restrictions that may have been set.

Aha!  That might explain it.  I can swear that I have had to either resync or re-authenticate with the ISP to pick up a new profile.  Otherwise I could wait for weeks and see no change.

PS.  What is the difference between Routed EthoA and PPPoA/E?

Regards,
Mick

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »

I can confirm that my friend's ST585 picked up the higher profile without a resync.  Perhaps there's a difference between his ISP (AOL) and mine (PlusNet).  I have to re-authenticate the PPP session to pick up any increases in IP profile.
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »

Yes I think you may have hit the nail on the head... Ive had to re-establish a PPP connection before now to pick up a new Plusnet profile, but that was after a manual adjustment.  TBH I'm not sure if this applies to all changes in respect of normal BTw IPprofile changes.  If one of the Plusnet reps is about maybe they will confirm.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything