Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834G v4 and o2 setup  (Read 5040 times)

Belz

Netgear DG834G v4 and o2 setup
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »

I am moving to o2 from Entanet and I have seen that some people have problems with a router not belonging to o2.

Are there any help instructions on Kitz for the setup I should use  with the DG834G v4?

In case you are wondering why I am moving, here's your answer,  my BT stats of this morning. I am on a 8M package and have previously had speeds of 3500 and over. 

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3680 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 352 kbps

Thanks for any help.   

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Netgear DG834G v4 and o2 setup
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »

Hiya,

I don't know if this helps, but I have just installed  a new DG834GUK replacing a non wireless DG834 v3 and it all worked straight out of the box. I'm with PlusNet though, so YMMV.

Have a nice one

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »

Hi Belz and welcome

The reason you have such a low IP profile must be because you had a recent low speed reconnection, which would have been caused by something like a burst of interference or a line problem. So there may be an underlying problem, which won't go away just by moving to O2.

But that being said, if O2 is available to you then it's probably a good choice. I've no personal experience with them, but so long as they supply you with login and other connection details there shouldn't be any problem in entering those details in the DG834G configuration.
  Eric

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »

I think the only problem using a non-O2 router is that you'll get no technical support from them. They do not like you manipulating for example, SNR and to my knowledge, the DMT tool does not work with their routers nor do any of the Routerstats versions (except for the Lite version) return correct logging/graph data.

I've set up their TG585v7 and my Belkin 7633 so that if I do need support then I can use the TG585v7 which to be fair I've had no problems with.

Check out this site, you may find some useful comments :

http://www.beforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Belz

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »

Thanks a lot for the useful information.   Time will tell if it is a line problem.  o2 are aware of what is happening.  They are of the opinion it is not.  So let's hope.

The o2 router will not connect to the DMT tool.  However my present router does.  I think that is very useful to configure both routers and use their router for the first 10 days during which time if there is a line problem we will know.

I am not the only one who has lost speed on the Entanet centrals.  A bunch of us have been resynced all over the place  with most losing substantial speed.  Some, like myself, have invested in new routers and filters to no avail.  The problem is being blamed on the customers and our equipment.

I shall check out the site you have sent me to and many thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »

I am not the only one who has lost speed on the Entanet centrals.  A bunch of us have been resynced all over the place  with most losing substantial speed.  Some, like myself, have invested in new routers and filters to no avail.  The problem is being blamed on the customers and our equipment.

The ISP hasn't got any control over your sync speed or IP profile. If several Entanet customers have been suffering frequent re-syncs, that can only be some sort of odd coincidence. Re-syncs are caused by issues between you and the exchange, not by what the ISP does.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:33:55 PM »

The DG834v4 is the same chipset as the DG834GT so I dont forsee any problems.
Ive used various routers on Be (same network backhaul as O2).

>> Are there any help instructions on Kitz for the setup I should use  with the DG834G v4?

This is how I setup my DG834GT to work on Be.  The same method was used to set up a flashed skybox DG934G (DG834G v3) to work with Be*.

If you are using any other router then the settings you need are here.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Belz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »

Thank you very much, everyone, this has been very helpful.  I do not anticipate any problems with all the help you have given me.

This is a wonderful site with very helpful replies to problems.