Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Veoh - Warning  (Read 6802 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Veoh - Warning
« on: December 18, 2006, 08:38:10 AM »

If you have a capped ISP connection or even worse if you are on PAYG be aware of Veoh.

This is supposed to be video site similar to YouTube, but you have to download their player to watch most of the vids.

What may not be immediately apparent is that the player contains a backend p2p client.
You have no way of limiting your upstream, and it will eat up to 100% of your upstream bandwidth 24/7.
It runs silently in the background each time your PC is switched on - without any indication in the sys tray as veohclientservice.exe Even if you think you have turned it off - it will immediately launch when you start your PC.

Within a day it will soon gobble up a few GBs...  and within a week you could easily have used 15-20GB and be over any cap or FUP imposed by your ISP.
Ive seen this on a few machines now - beware it seems to be something popular with kids who are thinking they are getting U-Tube type vids.  The first thing you will notice is that your machine may become sluggish and less available bandwidth to perform tasks such as simple browsing.

Theres also been some controversy over the content of these vids and where they have come from... but thats another matter.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Veoh - Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »

That sounds like a good warning Kitz. I believe that the Sky film download service works the same way.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Veoh - Warning
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:28:08 PM »

I think I was shocked to see how much bandwidth it was eating each day.

One of the persons "infected" with it was on cable and a high speed connection.  They just couldnt figure out why the performance of their machine suddenly became very poor for several weeks.  Luckily because they were on cable it didnt matter too much the fact that it had used an awful lot of bandwidth - way over most FUPs.

On another PC I found it hidden on elsewhere it was using 2GBish per day - despite the machine being switched off at night.   I found it literally just as they were 1.5GB off their FUP - another day and it would have been exceeded :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything