Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSH to Router Stats.....  (Read 2583 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
SSH to Router Stats.....
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »

Does anyone know how to connect to my Speedtouch 536 Router via SSH .
Telnet port 23 in not secure so I want to turn that port off in my dedicated firewall and use port 22 SSH to view my router stats.

Set up = DSL>536 Router>Firewall>Network.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: SSH to Router Stats.....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »

:(   Nobody done this ?.

I asked my ISP and they did not know  :'(
I have a feeling that my Speedtouch 536 Router only supports Telnet 23.
I have been trying to use 'Putty' .. But it would not connect. :(

I would be interested to hear if any one else would like to give it a try and let me know how you get on.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SSH to Router Stats.....
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:14:29 AM »

Sorry mike..  I dont have a 536, but have temporarily allowed SSH through a ST585 to Linksys router that was set up behind it... but Ive never actually tried accessing a ST direct via SSH direct

What I did was ST 585
>> Toolbox
>> Game + Application Sharing
 At the bottom under pick a task
>> Assign a game or application to a local network device
Under Assigned Games and applications, from the drop down menu
>> Select Secure Shell Server (SSH)
Under Device
>> Add the LAN IP of the device to Connect to. (so it would be the LAN IP of the router).

However..  like you say Im not aware if the ST does allows SSH into the box itself.. Ive only ever accessed it via http, telnet or ftp.  It would depend if the ST has a SSH server?

Couple of options either restrict the IP addresses from which telnet can connect..  or
Set up an SSH server on a local PC..  SSH into the PC and then access the router from the LAN side. (not sure if this would work)
.. or use something like VNC to forward to a local machine and then access the router from the LAN.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:16:55 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything