Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TG585v7 with static IP address  (Read 14831 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
TG585v7 with static IP address
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »

I'm trying to configure a TG585v7 to replace an ageing, but faithful, 3Com Officeconnect on my suboptimal line (55dB attenuation).  585 firmware version is 7.4.2.6.  The trouble is, my ISP assigns me a static IP address.  On the 3Com, you just tick a box for static and then a box for the IP address appears, but I can't find anywhere in the 585v7 set up wizard, or config menus, where I can specify a static IP.

I've raised it with Thomson, but that was two days ago and I haven't even received an acknowledgement yet so I won't hold my breath waiting for them to help.

Any help from the forum, on how to configure static IP for the 585v7, would be greatly appreciated.

PS: As noted elsewhere on the forum I'm currently on a 'best behaviour' drive in the hope that BT's DLM will release me from a 15dB target margin.  So I intend to wait for 15 days (I've heard rumours that 15 days is good) of continuous sync before making the modem swap, at which point it's really quite important to me that everything works first time....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TG585v7 with static IP address
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

Ive always had static IPs when on adsl and havent ever that to specify the IP address in the router set-up when on IPStream adsl.

The only time I have had to is via an LLU operator which uses Routed Ethernet (ETHoA).  Most other ISPs use PPPoA or emulate PPPoE (PPPoEoA) in which case your IP is either dynamically issued by the ISPs RADIUS servers or it knows your statically assigned IP address.

In simple terms, unless youre with Be/O2 on a static IP, then the router should just pick up your IP address automatically regardless if its static or not.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »

>> I've raised it with Thomson,

Dont hold your breath... Ive lost count of the number of queries Ive raised to Thomson and Ive never had a reply or even acknowledgement.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »

Thanks,

With that reassurance in mind, I'll plug it in and check that the IP address it gets from the network is the same one my ISP's told is mine. 
But I'm not planning to touch a thing until at least next Sunday, by which time - barring any glitches - I'll have racked up 15 days of continuous sync.

I'll report back in due course, for anybody who's interested,  if I see any significant difference in comparitive noise margins, sync speeds or error counts of the new 585 vs the old 3COM.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

Please do :)

Hopefully it should all go ok - Ive used several different version of the ST routers and not had to put in my static IP (non o2/Be).

On my own line Ive not really noticed much difference between a ST585v6 and ST585v7...  although I can get more out of the v6 due to DMT tool.
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »

Thanks,

With that reassurance in mind, I'll plug it in and check that the IP address it gets from the network is the same one my ISP's told is mine. 
But I'm not planning to touch a thing until at least next Sunday, by which time - barring any glitches - I'll have racked up 15 days of continuous sync.

I'll report back in due course, for anybody who's interested,  if I see any significant difference in comparitive noise margins, sync speeds or error counts of the new 585 vs the old 3COM.

Zen do use a template to run supernat. This effectively gives you routed IP Mode and allows you to set the static IP. let me know if this would help.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »

Leo,

Thanks for your kind offer of assistance, even if I'm getting a little out of my depth in responding to it so correct me if I'm getting this wrong... 

...As far as I'm aware, the main advantage for me in a static IP address is that I could, if I wanted, experiment with building my own mail server or web server - and each of these are vaguely on my  to-do list.  I think that I could do so by configuring the modem/router to forward inward traffic for whatever port(s) I want to serve, through the firewall, towards some nominated local IP on my home network.  Apart from that, ordinary NAT suits me fine, and so I think I can go with Kitz's suggestion and just let the network assign me my own IP.

BTW- Since joining the forum I've avoided naming my ISP as I've said some unflattering things about their tech support and this is meant to be a friendly forum.   In truth, they're probably no worse than some others - in fact I'm renewing my subscription with them next week as I don't want to lose the URL.  And I'll probably let their name slip out one day after the dust has settled and but rest assured, to my doubtless disadvantage, they're not Zen.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:32:07 PM »

Thanks Leo for the offer - nice to know - most kind of you :)

>> experiment with building my own mail server or web server ..../snip/...  ordinary NAT suits me fine,

Yes its easy to port forward to a local machine with a designated LAN IP..  thats what I do for my http and ftp servers..  although Ive yet to attempt my own mail server and leave that one up to my hosting service, as they can probably do a better job than I ever could.   :D

-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »

>> experiment with building my own mail server or web server ..../snip/...  ordinary NAT suits me fine,

Yes its easy to port forward to a local machine with a designated LAN IP..  thats what I do for my http and ftp servers..  although Ive yet to attempt my own mail server and leave that one up to my hosting service, as they can probably do a better job than I ever could.   :D

Thats what it can be used for by all means. I use my static IP's to set the Gateway and the main pc for me to connect to. This also helps when hosting games on the PS3.

As for the mail server, i used to run my own aswell and this was an MDaemon server. Can be a little pricey but well worth the time and money. The template are base designs so you can run Full Routed IP or run Routed IP and NAT.

Kindest Regards,

Leo

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »

The template are base designs so you can run Full Routed IP or run Routed IP and NAT.

I tried out the Routed IP with NAT template on a 585v6 a while back but while the NAT allocated addresses to the LAN these addresses were unable to see the outside world.

I posted in about it and someone else seems to be having the same issues.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

Where did you get the template? was it from us? If it was can yo PM me the template and i'll rework it here to find the issue for you.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »

I was following the guidelines in the Zen Knowledge Base.  The 585 template is here.

It was a while ago when I tried it and I was relatively new to Speedtouch devices, so when it didn't work I just left it.  Although I may have been doing something wrong someone else has recently posted in the Zen forum that they have encountered the same problem, so I'd suggest trying it yourself to see if there really is problem with the template.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »

Thats the thing. I have tried it and it worked well for me. I'll do some checking on it today and let you know.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Earlier in this thread, I promised to report back with comparative info wrt 585V7 vs ancient 3Com...

First - as Kitz predicted, static IP address wasn't a problem, I just allowed the network to allocate and, lo and behold, it allocated my familar 'static' address.

Second, I'd been patiently waiting for 15 days of continuous sync before making trying the 585, on the hope my target SNR would drop in that time.  Sadly, we had a power cut just before day 14 elapsed and I'm still on 15dB.  Grrrr. I'll never know if another 36 hours or so would have made the difference.

Finally - thanks to the previous paragraph (a 'silver lining'?, a more meaningful comparison was possible, with the same target SNRs.  Immediately before powering off the old 3Com, I resynched it at 1884.  Ten mins later, I powered on the 585 which synced at 2464 - that's a worthwhile and convincing improvement, I reckon.

So far, the 585 has reported NO CRC errors - the 3Com was reporting about 150-300 per day.  It's only been an hour so I can't really draw any conclusions from that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 585's going to be more stable as well as faster.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

Hi 7LM - thanks for getting back to report your findings.

Thats pretty sickening re the power cut  :'(

Excellent news about the increase in sync .
The stability with the CRC errors should help a lot... and if anything coax the DLM to decrease your SNRM  line profile.
Hopefully the IPprofile should increase within the next few days in line with the higher sync speed... and  Lets hope it stays like this :)

:thumbs:

-----