Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LINE noise only when adsl connected  (Read 3078 times)

aflack

• Just arrived
LINE noise only when adsl connected
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »

Hello all
I had an issue and was wondering if anyone else has seen it, or knows what it is.

I get line noise only when the adsl is either connecting or connected. I am UK based (be internet) (adsl2+) and tried lots of things.
I tried only plugging in the adsl, and a brand new phone purchased to test the problem, still no joy and get the noise and dropouts. i tried the master socket with a new microfilter (tried 2 others, so not a double filter fault as cant all be faulty). i replaced the little cable going into the socket from the modem and last of all i have tried 3 different modems. A linksys, the speedtouch and a netgear ( all ethernet routers).

I had a bt engineer out about the noise and he found nothing, but then i discovered it was caused by the adsl after he left... doh!!, spoke to him on the phone again and he said nothing he can do as line and broadband engineers are differently trained.

Anyone know of anything to possibly try. The modem sits stable at times on 6db, but we need to go to 16db to stay stable most of the time. thought it may be wet weather, but dont know. just seems to be very very frustrating.

Andy

[email address removed by admin]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:58:55 PM by kitz »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: LINE noise only when adsl connected
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »

Hi and welcome.

What kind of noise is it? If it's a crackly noise then my bet would be on a high resistance line fault. I've had the same experience myself.

If you can use Routerstats to monitor the noise margin over time it might help to diagnose the problem.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

Hi Andy and welcome.

Ive removed your email address from your post so that spambots dont harvest it.

As regards to your problem, Ive nothing much more to add than what Eric's already said Im afraid, other than wet weather is often something that does cause adsl problems and does get worse during that period if you have a HR fault.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aflack

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »

Thanks guys, ill give route stats a look to see if i can spot anything. Yes its a crackling on the line.

Andy.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »

Typically, raising a "noise on the line" or "intermittent noise on the line" with BT without mentioning broadband should have this fault resolved.  However, sometimes you will need to persevere with BT if the first visit by an engineer does not locate and resolve the fault.  Inveriably the engineer will have to reterminate your line's connections somewhere between your house and the exchange where the high resistance fault is giving rise to the crackling noise.  Forget about getting good broadand performance while crackling can be heard on the line.
Regards,
Mick