Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: adsl filter v phone ringing  (Read 8228 times)

polyal

• Just arrived
adsl filter v phone ringing
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

my phone wont ring with an adsl filter fitted
is there a fix or do i need a new phone

thanks in advance for any info

polyal
stoke on trent

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: adsl filter v phone ringing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »

Hi and welcome.

First you need to make sure that you've got everything connected properly. These pages may help to check this out. The important thing is to make sure that all analogue phone equipment (phones, faxes, Sky boxes, etc.) are connected via a filter.

If the connections are OK, then perhaps you need to try a different filter. Most filters provide a proper ring connection, but there are a few cheap and nasty ones which don't.

If this still doesn't fix the problem, then perhaps your extension wiring is faulty. You can check this by removing the master socket faceplate and plugging a filter into the test socket inside, then connecting a phone and your router to the filter. If it all works like that then you probably have a wiring fault.

Eric

polyal

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

thanks for the reply.
if i remove the filter and plug the phone directly in its place it works normally

the filter is a 'FUN-JIN ADSL MICROFILTER' and was supplied by talktalk with
their broadband package

can i assume that my problem is not  ' run of the mill ' caused by older 3 wire
telphones but more likely to be a faulty or incompatable filter

had a look inside the filter:
line i/p ( red yellow blue ) go to the phone socket 2,3 & 5
pin 2, 5 are paralelled go to small pcb then to the modem socket
i havn't checked for continuity
i havn't checked for conformity between the i/p and the RJ socket
would reversed polarity ( 2&5 ) cause a prob

thank you
polyal
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:53:59 PM by polyal »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »

How strange.
All the adsl filter does is split the different frequencies out.  The telephone side carries the lower frequencies used for voice only. On the adsl side the higher adsl signals pass through un-hindered.  Filters are "low pass filters" meaning that its on the telephone side only that only the lower frequencies are allowed to pass through.

It shouldnt affect the ringing of the phone since telephones dont need the higher frequencies.  Aside from that newer telephones have their own ring capacitor (which is why the bell wire is no longer needed).. but adsl filters should also have a ring capacitor which ensures that older type phones will ring.

As eric suggested, have you tried plugging the filter directly into the test socket (behind the master socket).
Then plug your phone into the phone side and your modem/router into the adsl side to see if it still works  way.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »

Ive just done a google on the filter you mention, the name crops up a couple of times, but you may be very interested in this where someone else had the same problem.

Perhaps they would have done so if  we had not been sent faulty microfilters with the SmartAX modem (as noted by the telecoms engineer when he called).  When we swapped them for those sent with the SpeedTouch modems, the phone does behave as expected - i.e it rings when we have a call.

I eventually worked out that it was the Fun-Jin Microfilter sent ... After I swapped it for a Speedtouch ADSL filter, the problem vanished
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

polyal

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »

thanks for the input
i think it must be a faulty filter ( pcb ) all the internal wiring seems to be ok

just to modify my previous post - line wires (2&5) go to the pcb and then separately to
the modem and the phone sockets- the ring wire goes straight from the i/p to phone skt pin 3

i tried reversing 2&5 - no difference
the phone works normally pre filter 

with regards to the link and talktalk the author's criticisms are complely justified i dont bother
with thier customer support anymore ( you cant even get it online ) if you phone it
takes hours and the people manning the phones dont give a toss (this is my opinion from
personel experinces)they might have improved since ( hopefully )

when (if) i find a solution i will post

thanks again
al saunders
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:55:39 PM by polyal »

polyal

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

just to wrap this thread up and for the benefit of anyone with a similar prob
i aquired a second filter from a friend --- and hey presto !

everything is working as it should

cheers for all the help
al saunders stoke on trent

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »

Excellent news, thanks for letting us know. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »

>> i aquired a second filter from a friend --- and hey presto !

Thats good news - thanks for letting us know.

It may also be of interest to others to know that the Fun-Jin Microfilters supplied by TalkTalk may either be faulty or with some phones the line wont ring.

I can only hazzard a guess, here... but particularly with it being a foreign make filter...  I wonder if those  filters have a ring capacitor in them? 
In many non-UK countries all phones have their own ring capacitor as the telephone layout doesnt have a ring-wire.  In the UK there are still a few (older type) phones that dont have their own capacitor and rely on the ringwire and/or the adsl filter having a ring capacitor.

-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »

Never come across a filter without  capacitor so far, so I assume the filter manufacturer has assumed the bell wire will be connected ? I hope yours is a case of the bell wire being disconected and not a case of lots of filters out there blocking the ring