Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Router  (Read 9523 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
New Router
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »

Hi All,

I am considering buying a New Router with Wireless N built in?

As I have an old house (1912) with thick walls etc, I though I would take advantage of a router with a bit more wireless range and have read that Wireless N is the one for the job.

I have had a look around and as I am a fan of D Link, have come across this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119456

It seems a reasonable price and the reviews seem pretty good as well. :)

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Jamie

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: New Router
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »

I personally am not a fan of dlink modems, however if it is a Broadcom chipset then I can not see a problem with it. I have not heard any bad reviews about this model yet.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »

I personally am not a fan of dlink modems, however if it is a Broadcom chipset then I can not see a problem with it. I have not heard any bad reviews about this model yet.

Leo

Hi Leo,

Many thanks for the reply!

Yes, it does have a Broadcom chipset, what is the advantage of that exactly?

I found this which is interesting, I know its for Be, but shows the "behind the scenes" of the router lol
http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9182

Cheers

Jamie

Kind Regards
Jamie

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »

From my brief look the modem/router uses a Broadcom for both the wireless and the modem chips. These 2 chips together work very well and don't have any known issues.

The chip with the issue is the AR7 by Texas Instruments, which has known issue on DSL Max lines. An old Dlink modem does have the AR7 chipset and hence can have connection issues.

Kindest Regards,

Leo

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »

From my brief look the modem/router uses a Broadcom for both the wireless and the modem chips. These 2 chips together work very well and don't have any known issues.

The chip with the issue is the AR7 by Texas Instruments, which has known issue on DSL Max lines. An old Dlink modem does have the AR7 chipset and hence can have connection issues.

Kindest Regards,

Leo

I am considering this router as it does have good Statistics in the Web UI, also it has the ability to log stats with DMT V 8 I believe, as with my D Link DSL-G624T, I couldn't monitor from RouterStats or DMT, so that will be an advantage.

Thanks for the advice Leo, I will be purchasing the router from Play.com as I can get it cheap with a USB2.0 N dongle with Free Delivery.

Will update you when I receive it :)

Regards

Jamie :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

... as with my D Link DSL-G624T, I couldn't monitor from RouterStats or DMT, ...

The T stands for Texas Instruments. Which is the AR7 chipset. Hence the DMT toold id not work.

Leo

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:03:23 PM »

... as with my D Link DSL-G624T, I couldn't monitor from RouterStats or DMT, ...

The T stands for Texas Instruments. Which is the AR7 chipset. Hence the DMT toold id not work.

Leo

So as you say, the router I currently have is prone to causing Connection problems?

So I would be better off with a router with a Broadcom chipset then? Therefore, DSL-2740B means it has a Broadcom chipset!

Many Thanks

Jamie
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:05:39 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »

Aye thats the one Jamie. Billion Modems use the GlobalSpan and other chips. The new Draytk 2820 uses the new Infineon chipset and i am still trying to find out what the Netgear v5 has.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »

Aye thats the one Jamie. Billion Modems use the GlobalSpan and other chips. The new Draytk 2820 uses the new Infineon chipset and i am still trying to find out what the Netgear v5 has.

So what DSLAM Chipsets are used in the UK?

Cheers

Jamie

Kind Regards
Jamie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »

So what DSLAM Chipsets are used in the UK?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »

Kind Regards
Jamie

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »

Apparently the DG834Gv5 uses the Conexant CX94610 chipset.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »

ahh nice one. How did you come about this info?

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »

I was originally trying to find out a bit more about the new Netgear DGN2000 and stumbled across this thread on the IDNetters forum (I'm with Zen by the way  :)).  Some folk in the thread had got hold of, and were discussing, a beta unit of the DG834Gv5 and it emerges that it uses the Conexant chipset and may have editable QoS functionality.  It's been suggested that the DGN2000 and possibly even the DG834Nv2 will also use the Connexant chipset.

If anyone has a DGN2000 do you fancy getting out a Torx and having a look to confirm?  I disassembled my unused DG834Gv2 the other week for a look and was surprised that there are no warranty labels to break - just 4 torx screws under the rubber feet.

For all the problems with the AR7 chipset it's a well built unit and the removable antenna is very handy, but sadly missing from later models.  It's being suggested that the Connexant chipset is yet another cost cutting measure and that the units will now only have a 1 year warranty, although the on off button is a step forward  :D.

Edit: According to the specifications on netgear.com the warranty will be one year in North America and 2 years for the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:15:44 PM by orainsear »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

To be fair we will need to wait and see how the v5 performs before making a judgement on the modem.
Pages: [1] 2

anything