Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Voyager 2091 Help!!!!!....Please...  (Read 3651 times)

Nubester

• Just arrived
BT Voyager 2091 Help!!!!!....Please...
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

Hi All,

My name is Paddy and I'm new to your site. I thought that I'd ask some of you guru's for some help with a little issue that has turned into a complete nightmare of a problem....

I have a BT Voyager 2091 wireless router that I had upgraded so that it would work with any ISP after I left BT Broadband, All worked well until my PC died and needed a new hard drive and that's when the problems started.

Having rebuilt and reinstalled windows I was about to rock n'roll onto the interweb when I realised that Mr Voyager had packed up.... well, I was unable to access the configuration manager to adjust the settings rendering the thing useless.... competely useless, so we suit each other very well....  That dont work, and I have no idea how to get it to work!

So anyway, I have wireless connection, although not any internet connection. My laptop picks up the signal and gives me the IP address as 192.168.1.2 but I am unable to access the configuration manager on this or 192.168.1.1 or http:voyager.home etc etc, I have tried absolutely everything over a peroid of 8 weeks.... please don't laugh!   :-[

I would love to get this thing going again, the thing is, I have no idea how. I'm sure this is only one or two things I have to do to get it working, but I'm not in any way technically minded, I know the basics....

If anyone can help me access this I will make a dontation to the site. I hate being beat at anything, and there is a nice hammer in B&Q that will definately sort this problem out, but only after any of you guys have chipped in to see if we can get this resolved.

I'm running Win XP Pro, I've even been advised to turn the firewall off, and disable all Virus protection which I have done, but still no joy....

If you can fix this your a god, end of!

Looking forward to all your help....

Paddy

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Voyager 2091 Help!!!!!....Please...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »

Hi Paddy and welcome.

It's hard to believe that rebuilding your PC caused the router to fail, so unless this was a very odd coincidence it looks like a configuration problem. It wasn't quite clear from your posting, but do you have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, or is it the laptop which you rebuilt?

If you have a desktop, does it use a wired connection to the router? Otherwise, can you temporarily hook up a wired connection and see if it works?
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Voyager 2091 Help!!!!!....Please...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »

>> I have a BT Voyager 2091 wireless router that I had upgraded so that it would work with any ISP after I left BT Broadband

Can I confirm a couple of things here.

- When the router is plugged in to the phone line is the green DSL light on?

- Are you using USB or ethernet to attempt to connect to the router?  Make sure you try ethernet and not the USB connection.  Dont use wireless either as it may have locked out the lappy or forgot the authorised MAC address.

- Some 2091's are sold at various outlets, or given out by ISPs are unlocked, and some which were supplied by BTBroadband were locked to BT.  Was your router one of those BT ones which you unlocked yourself?

If you have unlocked your 2091 then its possible that you are now using a variant of Dynalink firmware, which at one point was used to unlock the BT 2091s.

By default this (dynalink) firmware isnt set up as UK... so if you've done a hard reset of the router, it may well be reverting to the non-UK configuration...so it wont be able to connect to the internet and on top of that it will have cleared the MAC address of any previous authorised wireless connections.
You will also need the Dynalink drivers if you attempt to use the USB part of the router
- Hence you must try connecting via ethernet and must make sure that you dont have the old BT drivers on your system.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker