Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bargain Buying Tips  (Read 64112 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Bargain Buying Tips
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »

I just thought I'd knock together a few tips for when you're looking to buy electrical/electronic goods & associated items.  I think a few of the points will have been made here and there within these forums, so this is my attempt at pulling it all together.  Any other tips will always be welcome.

First of all, there's a lot of info out there on the web about money saving, but it can be a bit daunting trying to make sense of it all.  A good place to start for general advice is Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert site.  It has a wealth of information on there and can take some time to get through, although there are always plenty of current deals & bargains on the forums part of the site.

If you know the make and model number of an item you're interested in, then Price Runner is an excellent comparison site for all manner of electrical/electronic, and other goods.  Do remember that you will often pay less than the store price by reserving online to pick up in store.  I know that this technique works with Curry's/PC World.

Now for media.  There seem to be two lead players in this area, i.e. Amazon and Play.com and it is all too easy to head straight there for what you want, but they are not always the cheapest.  Despite its name, Find-DVD is a very useful price comparison site for all types of media - not only films & music, but also books, mobile phones & services, games, and electrical goods.  On the DVD/CD front there is one site that I will especially mention as they are not included in Find-DVD's search engine, and have a habit of being one of the cheapest.  I have used DVD.CO.UK on many occasions and found them to be very quick and reliable (as well as cheap).

Another  site worth a mention especially for memory and camera stuff is www.picstop.co.uk. And for ink cartridges etc. www.justinkandpaper.com (thanks Uncy).

Looking for mobile phone accessories?  The best site I've found so far is Mobile Phone Crazy.  If they do stuff for my ancient Nokia, then you are likely to find bits and bobs for whatever mobie you possess. :)

Now as for PC stuff itself, there are two sites worthy of a mention.  eBuyer has probably the largest range and most competitive prices.  If you're not in a hurry it's worth going for the 'Super Saver' P&P option, as even though it states 'within 5 working days', I've often had items arrive quicker than that.  If you spend at least £50 then Super Saver P&P is free, and their customer service is second to none. :)

The other site I will give a mention to, which has a knack of offering good deals on PC towers, complete systems & miscellaneous peripherals is Aria Technology.

Last (but very definitely not least, given the theme of this site), if you're looking for routers, modems and related accessories, then DSL Depot is always a good starting point.  They tend to stock discontinued lines at very reasonable prices (and good service in my experience).  They are a sister site to DSL Source.

Happy shopping :)

I hope this topic will be of use to you all, and I will certainly expand it when I find/remember more related stuff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:59:10 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Bargain Buying Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »

I will second all those sites Floydy as being good,especially www.dvd.co.uk. Another  site worth a mention especially for memory and camera stuff is www.picstop.co.uk. And for ink cartridges etc. www.justinkandpaper.com

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »

Nice one Uncy - I'm not into photography, in fact it's about 20 years since I owned a camera of any sort, so it's unknown territory for me.

(I don't have a printer either)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:03:44 PM by Floydoid »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »

I bought a 4gb Kingston flash drive from picstop about 3 weeks ago £6.99 and got a code via their newsletter for free delivery. :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »

Just to add a little 'flavour' to the topic, and an example of what you'll find on Martin Lewis's site... this week I received a *coupon for Virgin Wines - so if you feel like stocking up for the festive season, and you're a new customer to the site you can get £40 (plus another tenner apparently) off a £100 case of wine.  All you need to enter on the site is:

Code: DVD40WB
Password: WINEBANK

This is valid until 30/11/08... happy drinking. :)

*with a purchase from dvd.co.uk

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »

Floydy,most wine stores do a case of 12 bottles for around £50+ del

http://tinyurl.com/427992

http://tinyurl.com/49xjdk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:38:42 PM by UncleUB »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »

Ah OK... it's not the kind of stuff I buy, except the odd bottle of supermarket plonk if the family are coming over for sunday lunch... I'm more of a Boddington's drinker myself.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »

Just to add my pennyworth,
If you are trying to do a price comparison and finding it difficult to find other suppliers, then it may "possibly" be end of line or outdated stock.

This certainly holds true to a certain TV shopping channel.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »

I have only once glimpsed that certain shopping channel... when I was visiting Panomania & family (I don't have Sky, and so was curious)... I couldn't believe the tripe they were offering.  :o

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

Original post updated.

More tips always welcome. :)

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »

I find Google Product Search to be very useful for pricing, although the searched for prices can occasionally lag a little bit behind the store price.

As well as using MSE for bargains I also use HotUKDeals.  I use Netvibes to monitor the RSS feeds from sites.

Although I've never ordered from them I've heard that DealExtreme are o.k., although being in Hong Kong delivery time can be a bit hit and miss.

Quidco or Top Cashback for cashback.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »

Thanks for that extra info orainsear. :)

I would add to the topic that there are a few reliable places for finding products of a more 'mature' nature, but this being a forum open to all ages I won't go into details (if interested, drop me a PM).

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

Just to add my pennyworth,
If you are trying to do a price comparison and finding it difficult to find other suppliers, then it may "possibly" be end of line or outdated stock.

This certainly holds true to a certain TV shopping channel.

Hmmm,whatever do you mean.I hope theyre not flogging a toshiba satellite L350-170 Phil
Always looking for freebie HQ

anything