Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Casio 10MP @ Asda  (Read 26457 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Casio 10MP @ Asda
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

Thanks for the info TD,very useful   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »

You've got me started now, unkyUb..............I could rabbit on for hours about photography if someone is silly enough to give me the chance.  :D

Most of my spoutings are sheer bunkum, but there is the odd bit of sense in there, if only I could find it  :-\

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »

No, you haven't been guilty of bunkum yet TD. I used to be a keen amateur photographer, and your information was spot-on.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »

So, yes for that a tripod is really a must.

Rule of thumb for tripods.............they must be at least as heavy as if not heavier than your camera, have good solid legs without too many joints but at the same time must be light enough to carry around or you will be tempted to leave it at home. They should reach to about eye height without you having to break your back to see through the camera.

Once on the tripod, a good tip is to fire the camera via the self timer..............press the button and then hands off.........the three/twelve or whatever seconds delay lets the vibration from the press die down before the shutter fires.

Can you recommend me a tripod without breaking the bank.That Panasonic Lumix FZ18 is 360grams. I am quite tall(6.2")so I will need one to extend without having to bend too much.Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.  :)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

Bit out of my territory this, but I just got my Argos Newsletter (how sad am I) and this is on offer.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5590584/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »

Aaaahhh, tripods..............there are a million and ten to choose from ranging from thirty quid to about fifteen hundred quid. I guess you don't want the expensive job and most of the cheapos are really not up to the job.
You are tall and to get one stretching to your height and remaining stable means the expensive end, so a bit of a compromise is needed, and I reckon that you will be looking at about £80.00 for something like this http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/9257/groupID/16/categoryID/81/v/4b3de284-d3bf-4e81-94a7-3c29c28b80ec

It would entail a bit of stooping, but it is stong and robust, lightweight enough and a decent compromise.

If that is too much to pay, and of course you need to factor in just how often you think you would use it, then the cheaper end models from Jessops and/or Velbon may suit your needs.
Remember, of course, that when you see how your pics will improve when the camera is tripod mounted, you may very well get into the habit of using for all your work.

scottiesmum

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »

Unc..   I have the Lumix DMC-FZ8 with x12 Optical zoom  ...   I've had it a while now,  superb results, easy to use, battery last a looooooong time (but I bought a spare) fairly lightweight ....  I like the view finder option;  one thing I have added is a screen protector.  I'm sure you'll get on with the one you've featured here.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:51:00 AM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »

I'm back........sorry.  ;D

UnkyUb, one thing to be aware of when thinking about that Panasonic.

That x19 zoom is a hefty bit of zooming power. All zoom lenses are a compromise between versatility and quality (quality in terms of a fixed focal length lens) and it may be an idea if it possible to try the thing before parting with money.
Long zooms can, when used at their extreme ends,can cause lens flare (when the light bounces around inside the lens and shows as a burned out, coloured round blob on the image) and are also prone to distortion...........barrel where the items at the edges of the frame bow outwards, or pincushion where they bow inwards.
The lens on the Panasonic is a Leica lens which will be of good quality and I am sure that they have done their best to minimise these aberrations, but the above problems will be evident and it would be worth assessing just how much there is and whether you can live with it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »

I wonder if the photo experts  would cast their eyes over this and give my their opinions.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1022835

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »

That is a very nice camera.

Good points are :-

Uses AA batteries............readily available, and you can use rechargeables ( don't know how long they will last)
Good range of ISO rating, with a low of 64ISO............lovely, noise free.
Close up, macro facility of 2 cms, not bad for a zoom and great for flowers etc.
Image stabilisation is the proper type, where the censor wobbles in tune with the hand wobble.
Fujinon lens................lovely ( again, though, expect a bit of distortion........it is a zoom after all )
Takes xd cards, anywhere from 16mbs to 2gbs ( an lot of 8 mpx jpegs on a 2 gb card)
Good rangefinder style through the lens viewfinder.
Good big rear screen with histogram for quick check on your exposures.
Although there are built in shooting "modes", there is manual override of everything available.
Although the zoom is slightly shorter than the Panasonic, it starts slightly wider, 27mm as opposed to 35mm which is nice for landscapes, and the long end goes to about 480mm, which is not far off the Panasonic.

Not so good points.

Possible issue with battery life.
Nothing else.

In the good old days of film, if you put a roll of Fuji Velvia into a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji or whatever camera, and took shots with these different cameras in the same light, same scene etc, you got the same colour rendition on all the snaps..............the colour  rendering was done by the film, not by the camera.
It is different with digicams where the colouring rendering engines built into the various marques vary  slightly.
Each brand will display colours slightly differently.
Look at a pic from a Nikon and then the same one from a Canon..............both will look superb, but put them side by side and you will spot little differences of tone and colour rendition.
Nikons, and the Panasonic that you were looking at earlier, tend to be a tad "cool" whilst Canon and this Fuji will appear a little "warm".

This is not a problem foe me, as whatever camera I use, I import straight into Photoshop which is set up to convert any and all pics into my preferred colour space automatically, but if you do have have such a program or want to print via PicBridge, it may be worth considering this point.

You would not be disappointed by the images from either of these cameras, but that tiny little difference will be there..............but if you are not going to compare one with the other as closely as I might, it is not really an issue.

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s8000fd-review/

There's quite a comprehensive review here Unc, which you might find useful  ...

and here's my favourite  reviewer   ...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/fuji_s8000fd.html

SORRY  TD  ....  all your hard work makes me look lazy  ....  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:07:28 AM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »

Good grief, woman, could you not have posted a little bit more quickly and saved me th trouble.  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »

:lol:

I couldn't see properly   ....    for the sun      :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »

:lol:

I couldn't see properly   ....    for the sun      :lol: