Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Casio 10MP @ Asda  (Read 27066 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Casio 10MP @ Asda
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

Just seen this Casio 10 mega pixel camera from Asda for £67 (In store only)

http://www.digicamreview.com/2008/08/casio-exilim-ex-z1050-only-67-at-asda.html

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Casio 10MP @ Asda
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »

Looking at the reviews, it seems to be a nice little camera and a good choice as a point and shooter.

My only gripe would be the lack of a viewfinder.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »

Phil,
I moved it to Deals & Bargains as it was a special offer. Thanks for the heads up on it.
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »

No problem Dave  :)

@TD,yes that is my only gripe with my Panasonic,its a nightmare to see the screen in bright sunlight.I'm saving up for one of these.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1023148
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:55:01 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »

A much better choice, unkyUb and a very nice little camera it is too.
More expensive, but much more satisfying.
Not so many pixels as the other wee job, but 8mps is more than enough for printing up to A4. Also, more pixels on the same size sensor does not always equate to quality, and 8mps on that size of sensor is enough..........more that that and you can get noise and artifacts

Good price too, a few quid off the rrp. Put Blue on a diet, cut down on the sausages..........you'll have the dosh in no time. 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

A much better choice, unkyUb and a very nice little camera it is too.
More expensive, but much more satisfying.
Not so many pixels as the other wee job, but 8mps is more than enough for printing up to A4. Also, more pixels on the same size sensor does not always equate to quality, and 8mps on that size of sensor is enough..........more that that and you can get noise and artifacts

Good price too, a few quid off the rrp. Put Blue on a diet, cut down on the sausages..........you'll have the dosh in no time. 
      :o

I like taking landscape photo's whilst on holiday.My Panasonic is 6mp but only 3 x optical zoom.I can't get shots near enough ,the digital zoom always leaves the shots a little blurred.I'm waiting for the price to drop some more as Panasonic has just brought out a replacement for the FZ18

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »

Digital zoom is something best left in the box.

With an optical zoom, you get a section of the view enlarged as through a magnifying glass and that enlarged area is written by the sensor in it's entirety and using all the pixels available on the sensor.

A digital zoom, on the other hand, enlarges the portion of the view by discarding pixels around the periphery of the sensor and then expanding the middle pixels by interpolation to fill the sensor frame. And of course, interpolation is guesswork on the part of the camera as to what was really there.
That will give you the blur, pixellation, noise and distortion that you see from your current camera.

A longer optical zoom is much better, just needs a steady hand.

The DMC-FZ18 has an 18x optical zoom giving an SLR equivalent of 35mm-504mm (great landscapes to birds all in one )...............it also has a digital zoom, but with that optical length you won't need it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:46:53 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »

Thanks for the masterclass TD,much appreciated  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

A cheaper option with a good optical zoom range (and a proper viewfinder of course) is this one. I've got one, and we're very happy together.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »

I looked at that Eric,but it doesn't have O.I.S (Optical Image Stabilisation)does it?.My Panasonic has it and I find it very good.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »

I'm not sure exactly what OIS is, but the Fuji has what it calls 'picture stabilisation mode' which selects a high shutter speed to reduce picture shake. As I don't (yet) suffer from the wobbles I haven't tried it out. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:34:31 PM »

The difference being that in the Panasonic, the sensor wobbles in parallel with the hand wobble and keeps the light rays sharply focused on one plane.

The Fuji ramps up the shutter speed, but of course to keep a proper exposure it must open up the diaphragm to compensate. Opening the diaphragm results in a shallower depth of field which means that the foreground and background sharpness tails off very  quickly...............great if you want to isolate your subject against a blurry background but not so good if you have a landscape that you want pin sharp from the horizon to your toe caps.

Sorry if all this is teaching my granny to suck eggs.

Don't know if either of these two cameras has a tripod mount ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »

The Panasonic does, and it is something I am considering buying as I am led to believe it is a must for night time photography?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

The old rule of thumb, and it applies to digicams as well as filmcams, is that you (anyone) can only hold the camera steady enough for a sharp shot if the exposure time in seconds does not exceed the focal length in mm.
So, for a 50mm lens, holding with a speed any longer than 1/50th of a second will probably result in blur to a greater or lesser degree.

On the Panasonic, at full zoom of 500mm, applying the above you need to be using a speed faster than 1/500th of a sec to avoid blur (the IS will mitigate that blur to an extent, but not entirely as it is designed to compensate for shakey hands in "normal" situations, not for playing around with with extremes of speed.)

If you are doing night time pics., you may well be talking of exposure times of several seconds and no way will you or I hold a camera steady for that length of time and in that event the IS will not operate with any efficiency.
Further, a lot of people are tempted to crank up the ISO rating for night shots, but in a digicam long exposure combined with high ISO will give lots of "noise"........ugly. The thing to do is to keep the ISO at it's lowest and extend the exposure time.

So, yes for that a tripod is really a must.

Rule of thumb for tripods.............they must be at least as heavy as if not heavier than your camera, have good solid legs without too many joints but at the same time must be light enough to carry around or you will be tempted to leave it at home. They should reach to about eye height without you having to break your back to see through the camera.

Once on the tripod, a good tip is to fire the camera via the self timer..............press the button and then hands off.........the three/twelve or whatever seconds delay lets the vibration from the press die down before the shutter fires.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:47:48 PM by tuftedduck »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »

Yes, the Fuji has a tripod mount.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2