Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VirtualBox.  (Read 4479 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
VirtualBox.
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »

Some time ago I said I did not like the quality of the Linux 'cups' printing,  eg for top quality photo's.

So I got around to installing VirtualBox 1.6.2     http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads     I used the "binaries (all platforms)" at the top of the page, this has ' usb ' support.

I downloaded the file and saved it to disk, opened it with 'Kpackage' and installed it, set up all the settings via the 'wizard' and also created a 'virtual' hard drive .

You can now install what operating system you want. Useful for testing,
Note, you can use VirtualBox on other operating systems.

At this stage I installed XP. ( I have not bothered with any updates or sp3, anti virus etc. because I will not use it on the internet ! )
I installed the printer driver, also for my convenience I installed 'word / office' and 'openoffice' (free) www.openoffice.org
So all I have to do If I want to print a good quality photo / document etc. I save it to my home folder (which is shared ) , open up the 'Virtual computer' and look for my shared home folder on the network, open up the document and print it.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: VirtualBox.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »

Nice one! :thumbs:
  Eric

anything