Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Switching to dslMAX - Best training mode practise.  (Read 4983 times)

Beano

Switching to dslMAX - Best training mode practise.
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:17:05 PM »

I have just decided to take the plunge and move dslMAX.  :lol:

This will take about 7 days before the training period starts.

My line length is 3.7Km but due to some recent work my Noise Margin stats have improved dramatically. Best is typically 23-25db for the upstream and downstream noise margin. However I have noticed that the Downstrean noise Margin falls to between 12-15db in late afternoon/early evening.  I have also read that it is best to switch off the router at some point daily so that the speed training does not get adversely "stuck" in a low range.

I would like some tips on the best practise to ensure highest sustainable speed. ;)

Should I switch the router and online system off daily during say the hours between 17:00 and 20:00 as this is when I exp[erience the lowest Noise Margin?  This should maximise the overall measured throughput.

Or will this distort the apparant "quality" of the line and lead to instability in the future?

Other tips for achieving the best service would be appreciate tips.  Are these summarised in one place so that I can ensure I don't fail to get the optimum service. :-X

Apologies if these already exist on the site in which case can you provide the link to these on the the site.  ::)

Regards

Beano

Sorry I posted this and discovered that the most recent posts in a very long thread had just posed a similar senario.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:16:11 PM by Beano »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Switching to dslMAX - Best training mode practise.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:04:27 PM »

I don't think anyone is really certain what to do for the best, but my feeling is that you should leave the router on 24/7 and let things sort themselves out automatically. If you switch off the router during 'noisy' periods, all you'll achieve is a less stable result. But I stress that's only my opinion.

Eric
  Eric

Beano

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »

I am looking for stability and as I said earlier my Line length is shown on a BT RATS test as 3.7Km.

I have a Netgear DG834v3 Router with ADSL2+ capability.  Does the DSLAM have similar capability as I presume the MAXdsl technology needs this for higher speeds.

In the ADSL screen I can select 1 of 3 ADSL modes Auto Mode, ADSL or ADSL2+. (*  from the screen instructions it says)
*  " DSL Mode - In almost all cases Auto mode, the default, will work well. In rare cases setting the mode to ADSL mode or ADSL2+ mode instead of automatically negotiating the mode may resolve interoperability issues."

• For the training period which is it best to select?   ???   

How can I tell when the Upgrade at my exchange has taken pace and the training period started?   ::)

Thanks for your help

Beano

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:25:18 AM by Beano »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:58:10 PM »

ADSL Max is still ADSL1, not ADSL2(+), so either set the router to Auto or ADSL. Auto should be fine.
To know when you've been upgraded you need to look at the router stats after a re-sync. In almost all cases the upstream sync speed will be 448 kbps after the upgrade, instead of 288 kbps with a fixed-speed connection.

Eric
  Eric

Beano

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:44:51 AM »

I have checked on the status of my upgrade order.  It is scheduled to be carried out by 30 November. :)

(Note infor on upgrades is not provided to home users through the BT home tab :no:, however if you have registered you can look up on the Small Business tab ;))

Thanks for the advice.

Beano

Beano

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »

Well the big day arrived after a 2 week wait.  Initially I connected at 4862kbps which was at the lower end of the predictions. :)

However the Downside was that the stats on the line changed.
Downstream Line attenuation went up from 52db to 55db.
Downstream Noise Margin dropped from 23db to 6db then throughout the day it dropped to 0db and beyond.
I am using the Netgear DG834v3 router which seems to report a vvLarge Noise margin in these circumstances :'(
Result that I experienced dropouts, throughout the day. :no:

So I am back where I was with an unstable line connection.  Having spent many reports with BT(OR) openreach and BTw on line faults and with Netgear on revised Firmware full and Beta versions.

A report to Netgear yesterday has resulted in a new full Firmware Version V4.01.18 (hot off the press its not shown on support pages). ;)

This appears to be more stable (at the moment) but I suspect it has resulted from Vista testing rather than addressing some fundamental problems with the UK version of this Router.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:12:07 AM by Beano »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »

>> Downstream Noise Margin dropped from 23db to 6db

The Margin dropping is quite normal, dont worry about that.

>> throughout the day it dropped to 0db and beyond.

Welcome to the 10 day training period of Max :/

Over the next few days the DLM will be recording and making adjustments to your line to try and get you the highest but most stable speed.  If the speed is too high then your line will drop when the margin gets to low.
Theres a probability that it will increase your target SNR, which in turn means that you will have a larger SNR Margin, but slightly slower speeds. Interleaving and error correction are other things that the DLM can apply. 
The 10 day period could be thought of as a "testing phase" to see what is best for your particular line. Generally speaking the first few days are the worst if youre on a longer line, but it should soon hopefully settle down.

In view of the fact that it seems to be disconnecting and re-connecting itself whilst making the necessary adjustements then IMHO youre probably best keeping it switched on when you can.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »

12-15 db and 3700m away im 3500m away and kill for noise margin like that you lucky git ;)

incidently , best training mode practice , everything electrical in your house.........turn it off , wrap all your funiture in tin foil , move the wife and kids out for 10 days , stand on your head and hold your breath , do anything else and "electrical noise" will screw your connection ;) ;) ;) ;)

im a little jaded at the moment , does it show???    :-\

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »

I've been on Max for 7 weeks now and followed advice from Metronet to switch off the router now & again. Trouble was it re-sync'ed at less than 8128 now and again during the 1st 10 days and so ended up with a BT IP profile of 6500kbps.
After re-wiring my extension to improve noise margins (now not usually less than 6db in the evening) and leaving my router on all the time and sync'ed at 8128, my BT profile has gone up to 7125 (the max possible according to info these pages).
This now agrees with what Metronet say they've got me set at. A BT speed test at midnight last night gave 6356kbps, the best so far. I thought I could do better as the profile is at maximum. The exchange was on red but must have gone green yesterday (on schedule!), so there should not have been too much contention.
So, my conclusion is: leave the router on!

Just to note re. exchange going to green. I've been using John Owens logging program (mentioned here the other day) for my DG834v2. I noticed from the Noise Margin log a transient drop to zero on both up & down margins at about 7.30pm. Nothing on the router log, sync/connection was held etc - I wondered if that was when the exchange went green or when my profile was increased?
Terry.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:42:58 PM by canon »

anything