Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can you tell me please...?  (Read 4427 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Can you tell me please...?
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »

What's the best way to back up my favorite files and photos before the computer goes awol when I book it in to be doctored?  Remember I'm a computer dummy so need it in plain english please ;D ;D  thanks for your help... I'm getting there I hope....

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Quinnbeast

Re: Can you tell me please...?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

It really depends on how much you need to back up (i.e. total in megabytes/gigabytes), and what options you have at your disposal.

The absolute easiest and most convenient method would be a USB pen/flash drive. You can get a 2gb drive for as little as £6, or a 4gb drive for as little as £10. They require no software, they act pretty much like a pocket sized hard drive in that you access them as you would a hard drive or CD/DVD drive from My Computer. Plug it into a USB slot, and copy/paste all your essential files from your HDD to the listed USB device.

http://svp.co.uk/product/freecom_databar_usb_flash_drives_44185

Do you know if your CD/DVD drive also lets you write to blank media? A few blank DVDs and a trial copy of Nero can be better if you need more space than a USB drive, but not everyone has a DVD writer. At over 4gb per disc, they give you plenty of space for storage and backup.

An online backup service might be an option if you don't have time to (or don't wish to) wait for something to be delivered. I haven't used them myself, but PcPro have some reviews:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/148/online-backup-services/products.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:05:08 PM by Quinnbeast »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:03:11 AM »

Thanks for your reply Quinn.  As for backing stuff up the computer guys told me I'd need to back up anything I need...just in case.  So I want my favs on there and a few documents and about half a dozen photos, I can't think of anything else I need to back up.   I will use a disc as there's a dvd cd writer... but I would like to know where I go on my computer to send the whole of the favorites to the disc....I don't want to do each favorite page one at a time so not sure how to do it.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it very much.

Chrissie

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »

Bonjour Chrissie, 

In Internet Explorer, click the File menu and "Import and Export...".
Within the Import and Export window click Next.
Click "Export Favourites" and click Next.
Select the folder wish to backup; if you wish to backup all favourites, leave the Favourites folder highlighted and click Next.
Select the destination you wish to save the favourites and click Next.  (You can make a new folder before you start,  to export them to,   ie  in My Documents .. )
Click Finish.  Once there in your Folder you can then copy that folder and  burn the  contents to a disc.   

hth.   

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

For future reference I would recommend getting a usb flash drive

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3SQS&CategorySelectedId=11152&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11152,50543

small, cheap and useful for putting stuff on thats irreplaceable. I used mine initially to port stuff across from old computer and now keep nine years of family history research on it, some of which was loaned to me to scan and would be a tradgedy if I lost it on the hard drive. I have burned stuff to disc as well, but this is an ongoing project (and never ending) so this is the most convenient way without a large outlay of dosh. Just remember to remove and keep separate from computer.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:15:09 AM »

Chrissie,I would second what others have said and that is get a usb pen drive.I am a computer novice but after being recommended to get one via this forum I purchased a Patriot 4GB for £9.99.Brilliant,just plug into usb drive and drag and drop everything across(including all your favourites).And as Yorkie says you can keep adding to it every time you put something new on your PC.(until its capacity is full).Then get another one.  :)
Have a look here.

https://www.dvd.co.uk/index_mem_usb.asp

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »

... or go for an 8 GB one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126211
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:44:58 AM »

Thanks so much everyone you are all SO helpful.  Kate I did that and it worked a treat, can I now delete it from my folders though as I have put it on a disk so won't need it on the hard drive will I?

I have been thinking of getting an external memory thingy (technical terms I'm good with  :D) so when the computer is sorted (holding me breath for when I take the liccle boy in)... I will get one to use.  Again thank you for your help.... forum team to the rescue again!

Chrissie

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »

Chrissie,   Well done !  glad you sorted that   .....  you don't need to keep the folder if you don't want to.  When you get your  machine sorted you can make a new one and then add to it as you get new favourites....  then back them up  ... it's a never ending circie    ;D    ...I use the flash drive pens, they are very useful, in fact I've just received another one, 4 GB, from Orange, I used my fidelity points so it cost nothing.   

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »

Unfortunately I have had bad experiences with flash drive (pen drives) so would be inclined to keep both a hard-drive copy and the flash drive copy (just-in-case)

anything