Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Aldi PC Offer Again  (Read 21658 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Aldi PC Offer Again
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

I see our friend the Aldi Medion PC is back,this time with a Blu-Ray Drive.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6299.htm

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Aldi PC Offer Again
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »

Ooo

Most notable change is the AMD processor instead of Intel - it's probably just as good a processor however.

Not sure how the graphics card compares, I'm not in a position to go looking around too much at the moment, but it still looks a pretty sweet deal :)
Chris

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »

I'm not really all that current on prices but it doesn't look that good a deal to me.

The AMD quad-core is sadly nowhere near as good (or as cheap) as the Intel offerings.

The "Huge Software Package" consists of Vista and that's about it. The rest of the software is either cut-down (old) versions of software or time-limited software such as Office. It'd be useful on a first computer but is that what this is meant to be?

For £500+ I think you could do better for what is basically just a new base unit - presumably this is intended as an upgrade (hence no monitor) ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »

oooh I spy a new case now offered.  It looks like Medion have given a face lift to their "smaller case"
http://www.medion.de/ms/aldi/md8396/uk/flash.html

Notice that the price of their external 500GB HDDs have come down to £49.99
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »

A better picture of the case can be seen here:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_7349.htm?WT.mc_id=2008-09-29-10-57

A different case than the MD8833.
This one looks better, with more ventilation, also the CD drive eject button/s are now back on the front of the case.
(the MD8833 has them on the right-hand side of the case and for me this is awkward as it's up against a wall)

I also have one of the 750GB "Disc-to-go" drives that plugs into the compartment on the top of the PC, but to be honest I don't think I would recommend them as mine if left plugged-in permanently gets "very hot"
If anything like the MD8833 there is only space to install one other HDD internally in a dedicated space.
(Although one could be installed into a spare 5.25" bay with the appropriate bracket)

edit.
I wonder why they stopped installing the "Quad processor"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:05:32 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »

Speaking of cases, this one came top in a review in this week's MM magazine... beating ones costing twice as much:

http://tinyurl.com/45sg9b
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

>> I wonder why they stopped installing the "Quad processor"

I dont think they have totally OF.

Over about the past year Ive noticed that theyve been rolling out 2 main types of PCs.

• One thats pretty high spec, (quad processor etc) price normally around £500.

This is normally in the taller black shiney case, thats about 18 inches high with the blue diamond power light at the top.

I think they call this one the Akoya Range?  Im not sure tbh

and
  • in between they space them with cheaper models around the £400 region.

Those cheaper PCs were normally in a much smaller silver case thats only about 14 inches high.... that theyve been using for about 4-5 years, although it had been modified slightly to take the HD2Go which sat on the top and looked awful IMHO

Its the 2nd smaller case thats had the revamp - theres even less room inside these than the MD8833 etc.
Also if you look at the XL Connect - theres less in them than there is for the higher spec...  but the one thing about the smaller cases, they do leave a space where you can put a floppy drive if you want.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:06:46 PM »

1. Also if you look at the XL Connect - theres less in them than there is for the higher spec...

2. but the one thing about the smaller cases, they do leave a space where you can put a floppy drive if you want.

1. I would not of thought that possible.

2. With the MD8833 "akoya" you would need to convert one of the two spare 5.25" drive bays to be able to fit a floppy drive, fortunately there is the connection on the MB.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »

>> I would not of thought that possible.

Indeed - see images below in the attachments to see the various versions.
1. The original "Titanium" cases showing the Connect XL.  Space above for 2x optical drives.. and then see the silver blanking space below.  Ive fitted a floppy in there on the older machine.
2. "Akoya" Tower - much taller but no blanking space for a floppy - only 2x optical drives
3. New MD8396 - blanking plate for floppy as well as 2x optical drives but no Aux  or Video in connectors.

After looking at the new case again - it seems all theyve done is redesign the old "Titanium" case, by spraying most of it black rather than silver as previous and adding a new front black platic cover.

[attachment deleted by admin]

-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »

1. The original "Titanium" cases showing the Connect XL.  Space above for 2x optical drives.. and then see the silver blanking space below.  Ive fitted a floppy in there on the older machine.

Yes I also fitted a floppy on that model.
But there was also plenty of space to install extra HDDs, albeit with the aid of adaptor plates purchased from Maplin.
(bit like pieces of Mecano)
2 original HDD slots plus 4 extra HDDs (I know, I'm greedy)
Although I did eventually change that particular case for something a "little larger"  :lol:

All of the later models have practically no space at all inside.
Although with the size of HDDs being what they today, we don't now need too much extra space.

If I could trade-in my various smaller internal drives for TB HDDs then that would be my last modification.

anything