Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVG 8 - Link scanner - how to disable without AVG complaining!  (Read 10925 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen

If you've installed AVG 8 you have probably noticed the new little symbols next to search results that supposedly tell you whether the site in the search results is safe or not. AVG Safe Search, as it is known, doesn't seem to support Opera, so Opera devotees will no doubt wonder what on earth I'm on about! But Internet Explorer and Firefox users should do!

If you wish to disable it, you can go into the AVG user interface and easily disable it from there. But now the AVG icon in the tray changes to the symbol which means it's not happy, which is more than a tad annoying. It's not like I've turned off the resident shield or anything, that's still running!!

I seem to remember an option in the custom setup of AVG which gave the choice of installing the link scanner or not. So one solution would be to remove AVG and reinstall it again.

Can't be bothered to do that? I don't blame you - I can't either! So I had a thought, to see whether disabling the AVG add-on in the browser itself would cause AVG to complain - and it looks like I'm onto a winner - AVG still smiling and no silly icons next to my search results anymore!! Result!

This has probably been discovered and reported before now, I don't know, but anyway, here's how to disable the AVG Link scanner in IE 7 and Firefox.

Internet Explorer 7

- Click Tools / Manage Add-ons -> Enable or Disable Add-ons
- Find AVG Safe Search in the list
- Select the "Disabled" radio button at the bottom, then click OK

Firefox

- Click Tools / Add-ons
- Click the Extensions tab at the top
- Find AVG Safe Search 8.0
- Click the "Disable" button
- Close the Add-ons dialog box

Upon a restart of the browser, the link scanner will have gone! But it's quick to turn it back on again, just follow the steps above and choose "Enable" instead of "Disable". Restart the browser and it's back!

So overall, that's probably a better solution than reinstalling AVG without the component, because it's easy to enable and disable it with a few clicks and a browser restart.

Hope this is useful to somebody :)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AVG 8 - Link scanner - how to disable without AVG complaining!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »

Thanks chris - useful to know.

The link scanner was one (of several) reasons why I got rid of AVG and went over to avast.  That icon in the sys tray annoyed the hell out of me.

>> So one solution would be to remove AVG and reinstall it again.

I installed it without the linkscanner - and it still appeared  :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker