Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Telephone Conundrum  (Read 4544 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Telephone Conundrum
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »

Thought this might interest some of the more clued up techies on here, have been following this with interest, may even have put a couple of pennyworth in myself. Its a mystery but obviously a fault somewhere, sorry its a long read but I hope you find it interesting

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=321890&forumid=2

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Telephone Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

Thanks a million, Yorkie.   :(

I hate reading a good book to then discover that the last chapter is missing.   >:(

dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »

How weird.

I suspect a billing error - especially since it covers a full quarter and just that particular quarter.

The DUN connection shouldnt have anything to do with it..  the "0,38 "  is just a special code which an adsl modem "dials" to connect to the (adsl) dslam at the exchange.
ADSL uses different frequencies to voice (hence why you have to use adsl splitters) and therefore cant - or shouldn't be able to - dial voice (chargeable) numbers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »

And, he repeatedly states in the thread that there is NO dial-up modem attached to the computer!!
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

Perhaps someone left a laptop at the exchange MDF for casual browsing and downloading  ::)

The thing with BT Click is that it is just a 0845 number that can be accessed from any PSTN line with no ISP membership required. This is an advantage for when your away from home etc but also allows the potential for abuse.

I agree that it was likely a billing error, especially with 80 call set ups, but you never know...

Unfortunately call set up is the most expensive part, 5p or something followed by local rate (1p or 2p per minute?).

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »

Another update if anyones interested
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=321890&forumid=2&sr=41

I really do feel sorry for the poor guy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

In a meantime, it seems BT got nasty and barred all outgoing calls. However, he managed to get them to hold the charges and await the outcome from OTELO, so they re-instated outgoing calls, then some idiot at BT decided to re-impose the outgoing calls bar just 2 days later, for what reason, we don't know. Now he's got the restriction lifted again and he's able to make and receive calls *sigh*. To say he's not happy is a massive understatement, and he's stuck with BT, he can't move to any other telecom provider as there are none.

:no:

>> I really do feel sorry for the poor guy

me too  - it must be very frustrating  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker