Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet worst peak time congested isp based on monthly tbb data  (Read 1008 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/peak-time-congestion-hits-hardest-for-broadband-isp-plusnet.html

A new study into the impact on broadband ISP download speeds of peak (afternoon) vs off-peak (morning/daytime) internet usage at the largest six broadband providers in the United Kingdom has revealed that Plusnet suffers the biggest proportional drop in performance, while oddly TalkTalk got faster.

Title has been edited, as the data is actually from monthly tbb speedtests not the latest ofcom report.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:35:28 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Plusnet worst peak time congested isp based on ofcom study
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »

I am scratching my head how they came out worse than VM, looking at the article some data seems inconsistent, on the visual graphs you can see VM clearly has a large dropoff between peak and off peak speeds, but on the table showing % loss, VM is only second worst behind plusnet.  More examination needed to analyse this.

hmmm

On the graphs the visual drop off is visually huge on cable compared to FTTC.
The % are as follows for the 3 tiers 84% 79% 75% yet on average median download speeds performance loss it only equates to 6.46%?

--edit--

The graph is from 2016, so basically VM seem to have had a sharp improvement.

Sky are best with 0% loss

Sky Broadband   19.1   19.1   0.00%

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:32:10 PM by Chrysalis »

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet worst peak time congested isp based on monthly tbb data
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »

I think the whole ISPReview article is nonsense, comparing figures which probably shouldn't be compared. The differences between peak and off-peak averaged speedtest results may be due to more people with faster or slower lines running speedtests at different times.

Sky isn't the best, EE and TalkTalk had faster peak time download speeds than off-peak. This probably isn't due to EE and TalkTalk cranking up the bandwidth at peak times. I think it's more likely that it'll be due to more speedtests on faster lines being done at peak times.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Plusnet worst peak time congested isp based on monthly tbb data
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »

Yeah, see my comment on tbb, I was initially misled hence editing the title.

Its comparing ofcom 2016 figures to tbb 2018 figures so 2 different sources, and the issue with the tbb figures is that the peak tests in their ata are not from the same users off peak tests because tbb decide to include anonymous testers in their test results.

Sky do have pretty consistent peak vs off peak performance tho historically which is one of the reasons I ended up with them although in the past 12 months I have seen signs of possible issues.