Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Easing myself in advice  (Read 1143 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Easing myself in advice
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »

The transfer will complete by midnight on 24/04/2018, is the service message in PN Questions for my account with them. I guess then that when I awake from slumber on the 25th my connection will be FTTC.

I see that Billion 8800NL can be set, so that both ADSL and VDSL are enabled. Flicking through the router settings, I saw that the DNS settings in ADSL were Plusnet's primary and secondary, but on VDSL the tertiary appeared. I can't think how or why. PN have supplied other settings so

I want a seamless  changeover, so that the new service is immediate on 25th. What do I need do to ensure it is so?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Easing myself in advice
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »

I would change the DNS settings in the 8800NL to something independent of the ISP. Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) is very popular and works well most of the time, but if you value privacy you should consider Quad9 (9.9.9.9) as your primary choice.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Easing myself in advice
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »

Thanks, Eric! I did use Google before my recent problems, but have not got round to resetting after solving. It's on list for once the changeover is settled in.

anything