Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AA and very high speed services  (Read 4777 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA and very high speed services
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »

What happens if you want say 330 Mbps FTTP and are in an area where you can get it and you want to buy it from Andrews and Arnold ?

Am I right in thinking they are in a bit of a muddle concerning these higher speed services?

What if you want rather more than that? You could in fact be something called - I think it is - ‘a business’ or ‘an organisation’? You might even have more than one user at your site.

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: AA and very high speed services
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »

They aren't in a muddle. They are in the process of offering the 160/30 service. 330/50 is off the table at the moment.

They still have some single GigE links in their network that they want to get upgraded before they start offering higher speed services. Having a single user able to munch 1/3rd of a core network link isn't a good thing and makes capacity planning difficult.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »

They don't sell FTTP at 330Mb.
Adrian mentioned recently they were going to start offering up to 160Mb? (think I read that on his blog).

So if you bought G.Fast from them they would sell it but only guarantee 160Mb.

Happy to be corrected if that's old info.

edit: beat to it by Ignitionnet
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »

Where does all this utter nonsense about the speed of links that businesses need come from. An organisation I've done work for (which required me to remote desk top in to their site) with around 100 staff on site was running on a 32Mbps link and it was fine.

For many businesses that need more than that it will be so that the staff can watch Youtube etc. all day!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »

AAISP's delay in introducing higher speeds will be down to their refusal to take on users whose internet usage risks upsetting their policy of not being the cause of any slowdowns.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »

@jelv I hear you.

I don't know what the drivers are that might possibly make some organisations thirst for high bandwidth but, as you say, for many it is not relevant.

It would be good if AA could manage to have a range of offerings that mean that no users might have to leave AA because of that user’s unusual requirements or growth.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »

I suspect this link would be just as relevant to some people's apparent need for higher speeds - i.e. it's all about bragging rights, not actual need.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:56 PM »

Where does all this utter nonsense about the speed of links that businesses need come from. An organisation I've done work for (which required me to remote desk top in to their site) with around 100 staff on site was running on a 32Mbps link and it was fine.

For many businesses that need more than that it will be so that the staff can watch Youtube etc. all day!

did these 32 people sit watching full hd and 4k media content?
did they download games in 10s of gigabytes.
did they update their iphones all at the same time over this link?

Generally speaking to reliably supply a service you need a backhaul capable of it. I think jelv you might remember the iphone update slowdown complaints on plusnet's forums before?  Or the days when plusnet had to heavily throttle all their customers with the gold, silver, bronze tiers etc.  The days before the BT buyout.  Yes that what happens when you just roll something out without worrying about the backhaul.

Given aaisp have a policy of not been the bottleneck, I can understand why they wouldnt want to pass over 330mbit customers over a single gigabit link.

Actually I think I misunderstood you, I though you was asking the question why would aaisp need to update that link, but you was rather asking the question why would people need the 330mbit connection in the first place, I think for consumers it the good old ego, for businesses it can very easily be a legit need.  But also considering tho its not like you can order a up to 40mbit FTTP service, so for me personally if I could buy a 160mbit FTTP service I Would, even if I didnt need the speed, also in that these services have async up/down speeds, so you might get the 330 service if you want the higher upload speed as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:00:17 PM by Chrysalis »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »

40/2 and 40/10 FTTP are available from Openreach/BTWholesale at the same prices as the equivalent FTTC speeds. I think the 40/10 FTTP now gets the same regulated Ofcom price as for 40/10 FTTC, in places where FTTP is available and FTTC is not.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »

@Chrysalis  You make a good point about the upload speed. The 32Mbps I quoted was synchronous 32/32. They are in Southwark with no FTTC and no Hyperoptic etc. available.

Unless a business is involved with music or video work, very few businesses actually need higher speeds to meet their needs (providing they have strict policies about staff not using the internet connection for personal interest).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »

. . . was synchronous 32/32. . . .

Perhaps "symmetric" was the intended word but the fingers typed "synchronous":-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »

I work at a small company, with about half a dozen PC's + phones etc. We only have 36/6Mbps, it's the 6 that can be a problem if the cloud backup decides to back a lot up. Otherwise it's just updates, general browsing and emails etc.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

Perhaps "symmetric" was the intended word but the fingers typed "synchronous":-\

You know that feeling when you type something it isn't right but for the life of you the right word will not come to mind...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 06:11:02 PM »

You know that feeling when you type something it isn't right but for the life of you the right word will not come to mind...

Yes, agreed. Been there and done that.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »

What if you want rather more than that? You could in fact be something called - I think it is - ‘a business’ or ‘an organisation’? You might even have more than one user at your site.
Most businesses won't be using a broadband type connection, except maybe for small offices.  Typical business Internet connection (without our customer base at least) is an Ethernet circuit providing an uncontended link to the ISP's point of presence.   A&A offer such services, I have no idea what their reach is or how competitive.  They call these "Fibre Ethernet for business" on their web site.
Pages: [1] 2