Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Car key fob electronics  (Read 1562 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Car key fob electronics
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »

Yesterday taking my car to my mechanic I discovered my spare key fob wasn't working. I opened up the fob and replaced the battery but the battery wouldn't stay clicked in. So I had to give my mechanic my main key fob as fob has a transponder in it that when it is inserted in the ignition tells the car electronics it is the official key. No battery no ignition despite the key being in.

I have been on all night trying to get the battery to click in but no joy so I have ordered a 2nd hand key fob and plan to replace the key fob electronics keeping the same key on the spare but I will have to get my mechanic to marry the electronics to the car with his computer. Why are things so complicated because of electronics?
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Car key fob electronics
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »

Why are things so complicated because of electronics?

Because electronics gives a facility for making things unnecessarily complicated !

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »

Depending on the car you may be able to pair the new fob yourself.
It's worth a Google, as often there is a simple set procedure to go through that doesn't' require a mechanic or a computer.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Depending on the car you may be able to pair the new fob yourself.
It's worth a Google, as often there is a simple set procedure to go through that doesn't' require a mechanic or a computer.
I tried pareing my 'spare' key, the procedure was relatively simple but it never worked turned out I needed both original and the original spare Grey key (which I dint have)and fortunately on the second attempt after a period of no input the system reset itself so whatever changes I made were forgotten. so in total 3 keys required.
However all is not lost as there is a machine they can hook-up to the car to program a key, just that I never bothered going down that route. So in the winter my spare key will actually open doors etc so I use my main key to start and leave the engine running to warm/defrost the windows and using the pare key then lock the car with the main key in he ignition.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »

It is very dependant on the make and model.
Pairing the key is not usually the same procedure as pairing the fob.
I paired a replacement fob to a Mazda 323 we had a few years ago without issue.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »

You probably don’t want the process of key programming to be simple.   The simpler it is, the easier it is spoof, such that some vagabond can match the key to a car, then steal it.

The better manufacturers require explicit authorisation by a server at the company’s HQ, only available to dealers who have subscribed (think big bucks) to the licensing terms - usually that means their own franchised dealer network.  It can be enhanced even further by enforcing that keys can be programmed only once.

That does not exclude the possibility that a rogue dealer might offer to program new keys for stolen cars, and get them signed by the manufacturer, but it does mean the rogue dealer would be known to the manufacturer, there  is an audit trail, and so any such rogue dealer would quickly be identified and face the consequences.

I remember my mk3 cortina. I discovered it could be opened by any other Ford key, just by wiggling it a bit.   I then discovered that flat wooden lollipop sticks worked too, with skilful wiggling.   I prefer the modern technology. :)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:28 PM »

My car is a Saab and needs a proprietary Tech 2 computer to pair keys and fobs. Apparently the tech 2 deletes all keys then you pair each key with the car.
Tim

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »

Fixed. It was a duff Panasonic battery. I ordered some replacement batteries and tried one of the new batteries and it fits and works fine in the fob. I slapped the verniers on the duff battery and it is half the thickness of the replacement which fits snug into the battery compartment.
Tim

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »

Good outcome. :)

My own keyfobs take 2016s or 2032s, I struggle to remember which.   Maybe you tried a 2016 when a 2032 was required?  Or maybe it was wrongly packaged as a 2032?

Everybody else has probably known all their lves but I only found out recently - the first two digits  are diameter... 20.. means 2cm diameter.  Whilst  the second two digits are height (/thickness...) 2032 is 3.2mm thick, 2016 is 1.6mm.   

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »

Weird thing is it has the same number as the one that works out of a Panasonic blister pack. It is CR1632 but the duff one is 1.8mm thick.
Tim

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »

Everybody else has probably known all their lves but I only found out recently - the first two digits  are diameter... 20.. means 2cm diameter.  Whilst  the second two digits are height (/thickness...) 2032 is 3.2mm thick, 2016 is 1.6mm.

Everyone -1

I didn't know that.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530