Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How scaffolding can interfere with your line  (Read 3221 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
How scaffolding can interfere with your line
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »

Got an interesting one today, not exactly a fault but a curiosity I thought some people might be curious to hear about.

Had a roof repair and they put scaffolding up right against the phone line pulling it really tight.

Not sure if its permanently slightly impaired the line (I'm hoping not, the overhead cables are pretty tough) but it was very interesting what it did to my upstream SNRM.  Presumably the scaffolding was acting as an antenna and broadcasting a ton more crap into the upstream bands.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:13:48 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How scaffolding can interfere with your line
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »

It's certainly a distinctive effect. Just to be clear, was the scaffolding erected at approximately 1010 hours and removed shortly after 1320 hours?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:15:43 PM »

Unfortunately you haven't got reconnect and I will not see possible difference in Hlog.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »

It's certainly a distinctive effect. Just to be clear, was the scaffolding erected at approximately 1010 hours and removed shortly after 1320 hours?  :-\

I didn't note the exact time they erected but it sounds right and the fact its completely reverses at the time they removed it just makes sense.

Interestingly it didn't drop sync when they erected it but did when the removed it.  Not looking any worse for wear though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:58:53 AM »

That would be not unlike my own theories about possible changes to my lines which are lying on the ground, or buried in soil, or lying in water sometimes and not others and in ice sometimes and not others.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »

Added photo of the line.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »

Those scaffolders should be ashamed of themselves.
  Eric

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »

You should have seen what the people did who replaced the old Windows.  They wedged the cable around the side of the Window frame then cut a hole out of the trim to fit it around the junction box.

If anyone asks I did NOT disconnect it, drill a hole through the wall and wire it back up directly into the master socket.  ::)  Funnily enough, BT contractors later came round and applied silicon around the hole, presumably assuming the contractors had done it.

Kelly Communications have inspected it since as I temporarily had a second line fitted by Origin Broadband.

Someone else I know I believe they completely disconnected the master socket as when they had done it had been screwed back on the wrong way around and there was no dial tone.  The latter might be a coincidence though as it was an inactive line but had previously still been getting a dial tone.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:06:35 PM by Alex Atkin UK »