Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom Publish Final Results from the UK 4G and 5G Mobile Auction  (Read 2082 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/ofcom-publish-final-results-from-the-uk-4g-and-5g-mobile-auction.html

As expected the UK telecoms regulator has today finalised precisely how much extra mobile spectrum has been won in the recent auction of the 4G friendly 2.3GHz and future 5G targeted 3.4GHz radio spectrum bands, which saw EE (BT), O2, Three UK and Vodafone spend a total of £1.37bn.

Overall some 40MHz of frequency in the 2.3GHz band (2350-2390MHz) and 150MHz in the 3.4GHz band (3410-3480MHz and 3500-3580MHz) is being redistributed for use by Mobile Network Operators (much of this was formerly assigned to the Ministry of Defence). Ofcom’s spectrum cap, which was designed to help rebalance the market (previously EE had a fair bit more mobile spectrum than anybody else), meant that EE could not bid on the 2.3GHz band but they did win a slice of 3.4GHz.

The 2.3GHz band is considered “immediately usable” because many existing 4G based Smartphones and other devices are already capable of harnessing it, while the 3.4GHz band is highly prized because it’s intended for use by future multi-Gigabit capable 5G services. Ofcom says the latter will be needed in order to help MNOs to launch “very fast” Mobile Broadband services from 2020.

In the full article Mark mentions about the customer price will be used to pay for "early 5G services will also attract a higher price tag to help compensate for the hefty network upgrade / spectrum costs." What other network upgrade apart from putting up telephone masts would be a physical thing? These companies even share masts. As for spectrum costs, once you buy a spectrum isnt that it? a one off fee, or do they have to keep paying for it?

I think unless the technology we have today is used properly then we're just going to see more speed doing nothing new, which will be another flop after the hype train.

It seems when it comes to implementing new ideas, Brits (or more specifically the people in power) don't want to take the gamble. So we have half toes in, half toes out situation. Sadly we've seen this in other technical areas too. Why is this? Is it because the people in charge don't fully appreciate the technology they have? Or are they more interested in money than the product?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Ofcom Publish Final Results from the UK 4G and 5G Mobile Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »

I think unless the technology we have today is used properly then we're just going to see more speed doing nothing new, which will be another flop after the hype train.

It seems when it comes to implementing new ideas, Brits (or more specifically the people in power) don't want to take the gamble. So we have half toes in, half toes out situation. Sadly we've seen this in other technical areas too. Why is this? Is it because the people in charge don't fully appreciate the technology they have? Or are they more interested in money than the product?

What is it you want them to do here that they haven't done?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »

What is it you want them to do here that they haven't done?

In the previous article https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/uk-government-goes-on-hunting-for-the-first-5g-mobile-city.html it talks of;

– Doctors and other health care professionals using real-time video consultation and remote treatment for those less able to travel.

– Making traffic jams and disjointed journeys a thing of the past through widespread use of sensors and real-time monitoring and management of traffic and public transport.

– Revolutionising the way visitors experience tourist venues through the use of Augmented and Virtual reality technologies.

The doctors appointments mentioned could have been done many years ago, when video calls become a thing. Yet nothing is done. How many literally HOURS are wasted waiting around for appointments when people get there. My last hospital appointment from setting off in the car to coming home took between 3 to 4 hours. Everything could be done now online. Even if you need tests its done electronically at the hospitals, so you can just turn up and they'll know who you are. It's a big waste having people sat around, as well as travelling.

I would also say most office jobs could be done from home. We already have the tools to do all this stuff with our current technologies. But nobody does it.

I know of one guy who commutes via the trains in London every day, and every day there is some incident on the trains that end up delaying the journey. He could do his entire job at home on his own computer.

I know this is a bit of a rant. But life could already be made easier now.

Apart from an increase in speed, there is no added bonus to 5G. It will make high speeds more available around us. But society isn't really embracing 4G or fibre speeds.

I noticed in the US they are kinda forced to look in to the things I've mentioned because of the physical distances away from jobs they are. But we're a smaller more compact country that already could be in the future now. But our mindset isn't. Btw, I'm not meaning us on here. I'm meaning the people in charge of businesses etc

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »

I would also say most office jobs could be done from home. We already have the tools to do all this stuff with our current technologies. But nobody does it.

It may depend on personal experience but a lot of the things you mention are actually already being done.

1) There are various services such as https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/ which allow you to access your NHS records online/see test results/order repeat prescriptions;

2) GP's can provide consultations via video (i.e. https://www.pushdoctor.co.uk and https://www.gpathand.nhs.uk)

3) In Jan 2015, the ONS stated around 14% of workers worked at home (4.2m in total – not including those who do so one or two days per week.). Since then, the figures will have gone up (they were increasing quite a bit at that time). I also know that the Government is consolidating lots of central government department offices and works on the basis that they will only need about 6 seats for 10 staff (partly due to leave/illness but also working from home)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »

It may depend on personal experience but a lot of the things you mention are actually already being done.

1) There are various services such as https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/ which allow you to access your NHS records online/see test results/order repeat prescriptions;

2) GP's can provide consultations via video (i.e. https://www.pushdoctor.co.uk and https://www.gpathand.nhs.uk)

3) In Jan 2015, the ONS stated around 14% of workers worked at home (4.2m in total – not including those who do so one or two days per week.). Since then, the figures will have gone up (they were increasing quite a bit at that time). I also know that the Government is consolidating lots of central government department offices and works on the basis that they will only need about 6 seats for 10 staff (partly due to leave/illness but also working from home)

Those are good things. I use the ordering perscriptions stuff myself and its good. The pharmacies even pick it up and deliver it.

The main word about the GP's consultations is the word 'can'. Most don't. In the media they are always talking about people missing appointments, yet if you get to the doctors on time most of the time you end up waiting past your appointment time. I've been sat there for hours in the past at hospital. For the GP's it can be 30 minutes, especially if you have an appointment in the late afternoon, as the GP's can fall behind early on and never catch up. If most GP's offered the video consultations it would improve appointment compliance as well as you not having to be sat in the waiting room for a long time. The cost benefits of doing that would be massive. Yet hardly any GP's do it. I bet most GP appointments don't require an examination, and if they did then you wouldn't have to wait long as all the other types of appointments would be 'phoned in'.

The 14% workers at home is another good stat. I hope by 2018 that as increased a lot. Sadly we've moved away from a manufacturing country and have become more of a service industry. Most service industry office jobs could be done at home.

Take for example these call centres. In the US I knew personally people who work from home and they dial in to a phone system (probably a company phone system) and back then (this was in the 1990s) the phone system would auto dial numbers and you would talk/sell people stuff. In the year 2018 this system could be expanded to included computer feedback. So if you have a computer connected to the internet, and a phone, then all these call centre people should work from home. That would save the company money too, not having to hire a massive building and massive phone system.

I don't like to toot my own horn here (but I will lol).. but when I first went to the US about 10 years ago I liked the idea of drive thru's. After being able to order pizzas and similar foods I thought, wouldn't it be good if people could have drive-thru meals delivered too? I was knocking this idea around my head but my time in the US came to an end. I told a few people of the idea but nobody took it up. Then I've noticed the last few years people have started doing it. So if you want your Big Mac with fries, or KFC meal but you don't want to drive there, you can now order it and it be delivered. I'm sure those new companies are making a LOT of money.

The NHS needs to embrace the video consultations more. Maybe have the 111 number setup so it detects if you are calling from a mobile and if so asks if you want to video-call. Then the nurse on the other end can see you too.

Ok rant over  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »

Agree with bowdon

New tech, but not been taken advantage off.

In my mind.

1 - Increase data usage limits which in turns makes it viable also for following.
2 - Serve broadband not spots.
3 - NHS use for services.
4 - Use for interviews (helps disabled)
5 - Media services delivered over mobile broadband.
6 - Increase competition for home broadband #2 cross over.
7 - Video calls also useful for things like tech support.

The way we heading in 2030 one will still have to visit their GP face to face for everything, we wil have 2gigabit/sec speeds on our phones but will hit data limits after 5 seconds of downloading.  Data charges will remain high because ofcom want paying billions for the frequencies which the telco's have to recoup somehow.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »

In the full article Mark mentions about the customer price will be used to pay for "early 5G services will also attract a higher price tag to help compensate for the hefty network upgrade / spectrum costs." What other network upgrade apart from putting up telephone masts would be a physical thing? These companies even share masts. As for spectrum costs, once you buy a spectrum isnt that it? a one off fee, or do they have to keep paying for it?

Masts, backhaul, core network. Higher frequencies in use alongside more data to transport means more cells required.

More cells alongside more data means more backhaul required.

All the above requires core network to connect those cells and the customers on them to the Internet.

In the absence of charging people big one-off connection fees to recoup the initial fixed costs higher monthly subscriptions will be needed. Mobile data use is accelerating faster than fixed networks and faster than advances in technology are bringing cost per Mb of IP network down so probably some increment there.

Hospitals schedule appointments however emergency cases can push a whole bunch of things back. Alongside this if people can turn up whenever there will naturally be spikes in demand beyond capacity. The NHS can't bring in a CT scanner at peak periods and leave it idle otherwise. Telemedicine is not a route to zero wait times for physical services, private insurance or a ton of cash for the NHS is.

anything