Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Upgraded to Infinity 2 - No Speed Difference?  (Read 5921 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Upgraded to Infinity 2 - No Speed Difference?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »

I just find that sites like speedtest.net and thinkbroadband speed test have had issues with my connection, while practically every other real-world website has obtained faster speeds.  The speedtest.net app especially seems to be bottlenecked by my phone somehow, as running iperf3 on the same phone can get 300Mbit to a local computer over the WiFi, so it really shouldn't be bottlenecking to the Internet.

so who is your isp?

speedtest.net is not running great on my phone either, that tells me I have an issue somewhere with the phone's tunable, or its wifi connection or the speedtest app, it doesnt mean the test itself is broken.  Might also be an issue with my isp at the time of the test or the speedtest server or the transit link.  With that said I rarely run speedtest.net on my PC now as I much prefer tests that use less threads. like speed.of.me and tbb, also dslreports.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »

This slipped my mind earlier but, because the your ISP is BT, this page (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained) should shed some light. While it only counts if the "fault" is reported 90 days of your contract start date, the upgrade will have counted as a new contract.

I did scan through the topic and couldn't immediately find any information in reference to what BT actually estimated and the minimum guarantee that they set for your line (other than the DSL Checker estimates). The best place to find this would in your emails, or perhaps if they have this information on your account portal (I don't know since I am not with BT). Failing that, you could contact them and see what the figures are. Though they probably won't be different from the information on the DSL Checker (unless they the database was updated after you upgraded) since those estimates and the guarantee are based on the Clean high and low range and Downstream Handback Threshold likewise.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 12:21:40 AM »

so who is your isp?

speedtest.net is not running great on my phone either, that tells me I have an issue somewhere with the phone's tunable, or its wifi connection or the speedtest app, it doesnt mean the test itself is broken.  Might also be an issue with my isp at the time of the test or the speedtest server or the transit link.  With that said I rarely run speedtest.net on my PC now as I much prefer tests that use less threads. like speed.of.me and tbb, also dslreports.

I'm with Zen and have been on at least two different variations of their network, I was also on Origin Broadband both on BT backhaul and before that on Digital Region before it closed down.  I have always had varied results from those speed tests throughout.

I know sometimes single-thread speeds can be hit by contention but its strange how their multi-thread can do too, with only dslreports being fairly consistent.  Pretty sure its not the router either as I have been through various over the years and as I have been running pfSense on an Atom for some years now there is plenty of spare overhead, plus real-world performance is never a problem.  We regularly have three of us watching Netflix at the same time with one of them in 4K without any issues.

Anyway the point is, an artificial speed test can only be a guideline.  You have to monitor real-world performance as well to get a clear picture.  The BT/Openreach speed tests in particular can also be especially pessimistic.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]