Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DLM reset procedure?  (Read 4034 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
DLM reset procedure?
« on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »

Hi all,
Can someone clarify if I'm being wrong here, but I thought for FTTC not too long ago there was now a process where an ISP can now request up to 1000 circuits per day to be DLM reset (not guaranteed though)?

I just spoke to someone at AAISP and they told me it isn't for FTTC and that I must wait for DLM to lift the banding on my first line (if it ever does).

EDIT: All sorted now, was waiting for TTB to become part of the trial as far as I know. Well done to AAISP's persistence (and possibly TTB too?)!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:11:06 AM by Ixel »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: DLM reset procedure?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »

You are correct.
Point them here and tell them I'm disappointed in them.

There's no way the big boys are able to do this but the small players can't.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »

Thanks, I've told the person about that news article, will see what they say. It might just be that they were unaware, but for AAISP I am surprised if that's the case.

EDIT: I've been told it's not possible as I'm on a TTB line, if it was BT instead then it could be done. So basically I'd have to switch backhaul, which would effectively reset DLM anyway. But that isn't an option either as I'm still in contract, oh well. Maybe if I apply a lower banding it might encourage DLM to relieve the current banding?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:13:19 PM by Ixel »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »

I don't see what the difference is. That sounds like a fob off.
We've seen Talktalk residential customers successfully using this.

I would push them to check this further. They seem to have come back very quickly with an excuse rather than taking proactive steps, like querying this with OpenReach.

A couple hours ago it couldn't be done on FTTC and you were mistaken. Now what, it's a BTWholesale only thing?

Maybe if I apply a lower banding it might encourage DLM to relieve the current banding?

I've only seen this affect interleaving. Never seen it relent or remove banding.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:58:14 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »

I don't see what the difference is. That sounds like a fob off.
We've seen Talktalk residential customers successfully using this.

I would push them to check this further. They seem to have come back very quickly with an excuse rather than taking proactive steps, like querying this with OpenReach.

A couple hours ago it couldn't be done on FTTC and you were mistaken. Now what, it's a BTWholesale only thing?

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'll send in an email and query this, as I did a PM to someone over IRC originally (I won't say who though as it might be deemed as name and shaming an individual who works for AAISP). I don't see why they can't email TTB and put in this request on my behalf.

EDIT: Got a reply, TTB are claiming they aren't part of the trial at the moment so can't do it. This is also after persistently asking TTB several times a week since Openreach announced this. However the person who's replied to me is trying to see if they can force my request through regardless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:51:51 PM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »

Well Openreach once its rolled out have to allow all their customers to do it as fair treatment, but during a trial probably not.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Well Openreach once its rolled out have to allow all their customers to do it as fair treatment, but during a trial probably not.

Indeed, I wonder how long the trial will run for... could be several months or longer I imagine. A slight pain.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »

It may also get halted considering it's a trial!

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »

Well possibly some good news. I've been told to expect an update on Friday. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the exact contents of what I've been told, especially if nothing comes from it, but all I'll say is that there might be progress. They're persistent :).

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

Well possibly some good news. I've been told to expect an update on Friday. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the exact contents of what I've been told, especially if nothing comes from it, but all I'll say is that there might be progress. They're persistent :).

Did you hear anything back about this Ixel?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »

Did you hear anything back about this Ixel?

Unfortunately nothing from AAISP yet, I'm just about to write another email. I didn't want to chase until near end of today to give them time.

EDIT: I got a reply, quite quick. They're hoping to become part of the trial but no actual details yet (e.g. commencing date), waiting for a further update hopefully this week. Sounds like progress anyway :).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:48:03 PM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

Final update to say that the first line has now been reset (OGEA reference was also left on the line's notes too to indicate this), I'll let things settle for a little while now before switching to the DrayTek and Fritz!Box 7490 so I can access stats (currently using ECI /r modems)... not to mention proper G.INP support should it ever arrive one day. That's where the fun comes in on getting it working via the Firebrick 2900, I'll follow what Weaver did recently as it should be somewhat similar. I assume TalkTalk Business are now part of the trial, I imagine I'll hear from AAISP before the end of the week.

Lines are currently synced at:
Line 1 - 54360 / 14240
Line 2 - 71060 / 19992
(based on RADIUS log)

I expect line 2 to lose a little sync rate when I swap over to DrayTek or Fritz!Box, whichever I put on either line, as that was synced when there was a power cut here last Sunday.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:02:58 PM by Ixel »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »

I wouldn't say they can be a bit awkward at times but I suspect they have a lot on their plates and if it is a real outage then they prioritise that I suspect, otherwise they get a lot of noise from pick, tech-obsessive fools like myself all the time.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 01:08:55 AM »

Huh? I never said anything about them being awkward ???. Unless you were replying to someone else or replied to the wrong thread :D? If anything I was trying to praise them for their efforts and persistence in getting the DLM reset sorted out via TTB, as TTB were waiting to become part of the trial I believe and until now weren't part of it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »

No ixel, I didn't mean you had said that. It was just my own warning. They can sometimes give odd replies to questions or requests as if they haven't quite taken something on board.
Pages: [1] 2

anything