Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Should UK Broadband ISPs Stop Locking Users to Bundled Routers  (Read 2999 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/uk-broadband-isps-stop-locking-users-bundled-router.html

The “free” routers that so often come bundled alongside broadband ISP packages are usually nothing to write home about, not least because they’re often budget models and frequently come with key features disabled. But should provider’s be preventing customers from using their own kit?

The majority of internet users are probably quite happy to use the kit supplied by their ISP and many of them may never even bother to touch the device’s admin panel, except while setting it up for the first time. However a lot of people still prefer to use their own third-party router and that can be due to a number of reasons.

I'd include modems too. It would be good if VM allowed people to use their own modem. It would solve the current puma problem.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Should UK Broadband ISPs Stop Locking Users to Bundled Routers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »

I will give my answer to the question posed on the subject line: Yes.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »

I think it is important that ISP's do stipulate what equipment can be used and lock it down because then technical improvements, such as G.INP, would work seamlessly and with no problems. ;D
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »

I would not say that a "Huge selection of kit to choose from" is a reason to go and buy one.

I'm not even sure the article knows what it's talking about regarding the WAN port - I thought a WAN port is normally for input (such as from a separate modem or ONT), not for connecting another router.

I think the article may underestimate the problem of third party routers being cheap rubbish. There may well be some people who will carefully select a good device, but others who will end up getting some random junk in the hope it has better wireless.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:15 PM »

They shouldn't lock users to the bundled router - but they should be allowed to ask users to use the bundled router for tech support issues. Many users are not tech savvy and a standard platform is extremely helpful for troubleshooting. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »

I tend to agree with ejs, there isnt really that much of a decent choice.   It's why several of us stick with certain models which may not necessarily be the latest models.   There needs to be slightly more conformation across the industry when it comes to certain 'G' technologies and there will always be cheap rubbish available for those who don't know any better.

I think we should have choice - in fact I'm sure I wrote something last year about some freedom of choice directive in Europe (more specifically Germany) which over-ruled SPs which locked down their routers and stated that consumers should be able use their modem/router of choice.   However we've also seen what effect bad modem/routers can possibly have on neighbouring lines.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 01:30:32 AM »

They shouldn't lock users to the bundled router - but they should be allowed to ask users to use the bundled router for tech support issues. Many users are not tech savvy and a standard platform is extremely helpful for troubleshooting.

This - I can see the point of a bundled modem/router as convenient for most customers and the need for one for tech support purposes. But, I don't think they should be able to insist you must use it unless there is a very good reason to do so (which would not be the case for ADSL/FTTC).

Having said that, I don't think many ISPs in the UK actually insist that you use there hardware. Vodafone tried it recently before giving up but others?

I just wish the big ISP's did not insist you purchased their bundled kit each time you joined them, if you already have one lying around..

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:25 AM »

Trying to think which isps do this?

Virgin Media - Modem Mode so no to router, but yes to modem.
SKY - They wont provide tech support if you dont use their kit, but they are not locking their network to their own kit, so no.
Vodafone - They caved in and now will allow other devices on their network.

Who else is there?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:37:27 AM by Chrysalis »

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »

Having said that, I don't think many ISPs in the UK actually insist that you use there hardware. Vodafone tried it recently before giving up but others?

Not exactly a BT type line but Gigaclear FTTP do insist as part of the T&C that you will use their combined ONT/router from Genexis.
There are no facilities/GUI access in it for bridge mode just in case you were thinking....
If buy a (much more expensive) business line from them and pay an additional "facility wodge" for being awkward then they will let you use your own router connected to their ONT.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »

I tend to agree with ejs, there isnt really that much of a decent choice.   It's why several of us stick with certain models which may not necessarily be the latest models.   There needs to be slightly more conformation across the industry when it comes to certain 'G' technologies and there will always be cheap rubbish available for those who don't know any better.

I think we should have choice - in fact I'm sure I wrote something last year about some freedom of choice directive in Europe (more specifically Germany) which over-ruled SPs which locked down their routers and stated that consumers should be able use their modem/router of choice.   However we've also seen what effect bad modem/routers can possibly have on neighbouring lines.  :(

You're thinking of this Kitz http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20342.0.html
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »

Yes thank you @parkdale, I knew there was something on here last year about this. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »

Yes. Provide the option to replace them with modem-only devices under the operator's control if there are concerns.

It's standard for point to point fibre providers to provide the media converter to the customer, though I would go beyond that. Where either PON or HFC are used the operator controlling the equipment and presenting Ethernet to the customer, at the customer's discretion, is a good idea.

TL;DR offer the customer a choice of ISP-provided router/modem or ISP-provided modem only where customer can bring their own router, on the understanding that the ISP's responsibility stops at the LAN port of the modem and wireless is the customer's own problem - non-negotiable.

The modems are, of course, not just modems. They are routers in bridge mode. This is important, it permits operators to run diagnostics, right down to speed tests if the firmware is there.

Where the solution is all optical the ONT / media converter should be provided by the operator. There are plenty of options where a combined unit can do ONT and media converter duty depending on configuration which, IMHO, would be a good idea where possible. The operator can manage these and see light levels, etc, even across point to point fibre.

Ideally the operator should be in control of a managed device that delivers an Ethernet presentation to the customer's equipment. Whether that presentation includes full routing and wireless functionality should be down to individual choice, the default being that it does and 'modem mode' being an opt-in.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »

I also wish ISPs still provided pure modems to customers that wanted them instead of only offering crippled AIO units.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite