Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A little more Gigabit news  (Read 2024 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
A little more Gigabit news
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:19:43 AM »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:10:18 AM by waltergmw »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: A little more Gigabit news
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »

Hello Walter, well done to all involved, B4RN will be national wide soon .
That could have been our South-Derbyshire village only if our Local Parish Council had showed any interest a few years ago when I explained about B4RN.  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »

Excellent news, Walter. Thank you for sharing.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

@ Walter are they using existing 'dark' fibre to the b4rn network ?.
How will they connect to it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »

@ Tickmike I expect that the areas mentioned will have an identical point-to-point local fibre distribution from a master cabinet with 10 Gig * 40 channels DWDM dark fibre pair to the nearest data centres where B4RN have carrier-grade Juniper equipment. I believe that now includes Edinburgh, Manchester and Telehouse North in London Docklands with peering facilities providing quite robust dual diverse routes for many of B4RN's village cabinets. However there will be some village cabinets with dual 10 Gig feeds in the same cable at present and a few cabinets where additional wavelengths are active as B4RN upgrade their capacity once the peak load has been observed at over 50%. Every core route fibre cable services the local properties and has ample fibre capacity to provide the feeds to adjacent villages. (You may recall that B4RN started with just 8 parishes but has now "exploded" to well over 50 without any significant difficulty.) When I last counted the B4RN area extends over parts (excluding large conurbations) of over 20 exchange areas but currently without any involvement with them.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »

@ Walter are they using existing 'dark' fibre to the b4rn network ?.
How will they connect to it.

Yes, they are. B4RN lay their own fibre for the access network but, for obvious reasons, rent dark fibre to backhaul from transport network to edge.