Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media Make New 350Mbps UK Broadband Package Available  (Read 2006 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Virgin Media Make New 350Mbps UK Broadband Package Available
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:11:13 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/virgin-media-uk-make-new-350mbps-broadband-package-available.html

Cable ISP Virgin Media has today made their new 350Mbps (20Mbps upload) home broadband tier available to order, which replaces the old 300Mbps package. Existing customers already taking VIVID 300 will be automatically transferred onto VIVID 350 “at no extra cost“.

The new package has technically been available since last year, although officially it was only announced in February 2018 and until today you wouldn’t have been able to see it advertised on the public front end of Virgin Media’s website.

The service currently costs from £41 per month for the first 12 months (£48 thereafter or on a 30 day contract) as a standalone broadband-only product, including the usual one-off £20 activation fee (£65 on a 30 day term). You can of course also take it as a bundle with phone and or TV services, albeit at extra cost.

This is a good move for VM. I checked my area and its available here.

I think when they figure out the puma issue then VM will be a true contender for me, especially if FTTP doesn't make it here by then.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media Make New 350Mbps UK Broadband Package Available
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

Disappointed that they have not increased the upload, hopefully that will follow soon.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

Disappointed that they have not increased the upload, hopefully that will follow soon.

It sounds like they are trying to get the most out of their current technology before they make the update leap to Docsis 3.1.

VM and OR seem like 2 cowboys at the OK Coral, eyeing each other up and wondering who is going to make the first move. Though they better also watch out for those newcomers to town  :hat:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »

It sounds like they are trying to get the most out of their current technology before they make the update leap to Docsis 3.1.

VM and OR seem like 2 cowboys at the OK Coral, eyeing each other up and wondering who is going to make the first move. Though they better also watch out for those newcomers to town  :hat:

Probably why they both have a billion pound turnover ............................................................. and you don't.  ;)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:48:08 PM »

Existing customers already taking VIVID 300 will be automatically transferred onto VIVID 350 “at no extra cost“.

Call me cynical but whenever I see this, I expect Virgin to shortly announce price rises..

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »

Probably why they both have a billion pound turnover ............................................................. and you don't.  ;)

Shots fired!  :o

Joking aside, both companies have travelled unique paths to get where they are today. Lets hope they continue forward and fulfil the service that the people are increasingly demanding, fttp / docsis 3.1  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »

They're (BT & VM), more than obviously far from daft ........... but I'm absolutely certain there's folk out there who do think they know better than a FTSE100 company, who's business it is ??!!

Incredible, I know ..... but I meet weirdo's on a near-daily basis, with this job of mine.

Right, gotta go ..... I'm off to tell to British Gas they need to drop their prices.  ;D ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »

VM are about as good as Openreach at saving a few quid doing the bare minimum for sure. Shareholders demand it.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »

See, I told you ^^^^ it's on a near-daily basis !!  ;) ;D