Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another new toy (ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A)  (Read 4259 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
Another new toy (ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A)
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »

So anyway, I got this Zyxel off eBay and have spent today trying to set it up properly to work as a bridge to that Asus router that I've previously mentioned. I have a connection of sorts but it tends to drop at strange times; eg if I log in to either device the connection drops, or if I restart my PC it won't reconnect.

Obviously I need to know if I've got things right. I followed the guide for the 8324 elsewhere on the site, plugging an ethernet cable into the lan4 port on the Zyxel and connecting the other end to the Asus. There's no mention of enabling the lan4 port as a WAN port but I originally had it enabled and then disabled but it didn't seem to work either way. It's currently giving me a connection from the lan1 port but as I say, it doesn't appear wholly stable. Also following the aforementioned guide, I have another ethernet cable going from lan2 on the Zyxel to my router and created a new interface group with lan1 in it so that DSLstats can collect data. That appears to be working.

I've also been looking at the status page of the Zyxel to see if anything is going on there and it appears that whilst the status of both the lan1 and lan2 ports show as "up", the lan2 port rate occasionally switches from "100M/Full" to "N/A / N/A".

Lastly, my TTB BQM is showing 100% packet loss since the Zyxel has been on. I'm able to do pings through a command prompt and nothing's changed on the router settings, so something in the Zyxel?

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.  :)

PS Yes, it is in bridge mode.  ;)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Another new toy (ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:50:26 PM »

my TTB BQM is showing 100% packet loss
Has the IP address allocated by your ISP changed? Compare the one reported by TBB now with the one on your BQM to find out.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »

It has now and I'd checked my IP address earlier on to make sure that the address was the same as my BQM and it was. Now it isn't.  ???

Strangely (well, to me anyway), the pings came back between 10.30pm and just after midnight but the packet loss is showing up again.

I don't have a Scooby about what's going on. Wish it was easy...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »

Obviously I need to know if I've got things right. I followed the guide for the 8324 elsewhere on the site, plugging an ethernet cable into the lan4 port on the Zyxel and connecting the other end to the Asus. There's no mention of enabling the lan4 port as a WAN port but I originally had it enabled and then disabled but it didn't seem to work either way.

With the VMG1312-B10A configured as a modem, there is a bridge between the xDSL port and a nominated LAN port. Let's assume the bridge is between the xDSL port and the LAN1 port. You will, therefore, require an Ethernet patch cable to link the LAN1 port of the VMG1312-B10A to the WAN port of the Asus router. Set up as the previous three sentences, it should be perfectly stable and nothing that you do with devices on your LAN should affect the VMG1312-B10A.

From your comment about "enabling the lan4 port as a WAN port" it appears that you have become somewhat confused. Let's take a step back and consider the main modes in which the VMG1312-B10A may be used --
  • As a modem/router. The incoming circuit is connected to the xDSL port and LAN based devices are connected to the LAN1-4 ports & via the WiFi,
  • As a modem. The incoming circuit is connected to the xDSL port and one nominated LAN port is connected to a separate router.
  • As a router. A separate modem handles the incoming circuit and provides/consumes Ethernet frames to/from the WAN port of the VMG1312-B10A. (The WAN port is "created" by reconfiguring the LAN4 port of the VMG1312-B10A.)
For your current usage case, you need the VMG1312-B10A configured as in (2), above. Do not configure the VMG1312-B10A's LAN4 port to be a WAN port.

For now, just keep things very simple. The VMG1312-B10A should be configured as a modem bridge (between the xDSL port and one of its LAN ports (the latter will be connected to your Asus router)) and be configured to respond to an ICMP ping on its WAN port (which in your case is the xDSL port). For the latter configuration,  it is "Maintenance => Remote MGMT" and tick the "Enable" box in the "WAN" column on the "ICMP" line. Don't forget to left-click on "Apply".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply BC. I was confused about the lan4 port configuration but since worked out that if it was configured as a wan port, it'd be doing the same thing as the ewan port on the Asus.  :)

Anyway, I left the PC on overnight to do some monitoring while I slept and this morning I've found that around 9.30, the Zyxel resynced and that interleaving (to a depth of 1163) has been applied on the downstream. Now the HG612 I had been using had the snrm well over double figures (around 14 db) but replacing it with the Zyxel yesterday halved that and the interleaving applied this morning has dropped it further to 6.2db. It's doesn't appear to have affected my downstream connection speed but it has doubled my pings (I set up a new BQM at TTB with the new IP address last night). On the plus side (assuming there's a down side to the interleaving), for some reason my maximum attainable speed has gone up to around 66000kbps; the HG612 started at around 62000 and had dropped to just below 60000 by the time I replaced it with the Zyxel.

Anyway, I have an internet connection - maybe if I stop playing with it, it'll stay stable. :fingers:

Again, any further thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »

When a line has interleaving applied, the maximum attainable speeds reported are unrealistically high. However, now you have it, hopefully you will get g.inp soon (especially) if your line is on a Huawei cabinet plus the possibility of a <6dB SNRM target.

Where were you getting the HG612B stats from? The data in the web GUI is known to contain inaccuracies.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »

I was confused about the lan4 port configuration but since worked out that if it was configured as a wan port, it'd be doing the same thing as the ewan port on the Asus.  :)

That was my suspicion. I'm pleased to know that you independently resolved the mishap.  :)

Anyway, I left the PC on overnight to do some monitoring . . .

I'll let others assist with interpreting the statistics you have currently gathered.

Anyway, I have an internet connection - maybe if I stop playing with it, it'll stay stable. :fingers:

It's important, when experimenting, to follow the scientific approach and only change one variable at a time.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »

When a line has interleaving applied, the maximum attainable speeds reported are unrealistically high. However, now you have it, hopefully you will get g.inp soon (especially) if your line is on a Huawei cabinet plus the possibility of a <6dB SNRM target.

Where were you getting the HG612B stats from? The data in the web GUI is known to contain inaccuracies.

The cabinet is an ECI. The HG612 stats were from DSLstats.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:39:50 AM »

Is this likely to work as a modem properly even if one uses PPP traffic containing IPv6 packets?

I'm thinking about bugs alleged.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 03:50:03 AM »

Yes I have it in bridge mode with an Asus router using 6to4 Tunnel IPV6, the modem is just passing the traffic.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:32 AM »

I have used a zyxel 8324 and 3925  in bridge with my sky connection. IPv6 works fine this way with a 56 prefix as given by sky. billion 8800nl v1 works fine this way too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

Is this likely to work as a modem properly even if one uses PPP traffic containing IPv6 packets?

I'm thinking about bugs alleged.

Used just as a modem, there is no problem with IPv6.  :) 

Used as a modem/router, IPv6 fails.  :(

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »

IPv6 sort of worked for me on the B10A as a modem/router. It worked until I lost PPPoE when it failed to set up IPv6 again when the connection was restored. The only way to get it back was to reboot. The B10D is fine.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:46:10 PM »

Please Sirs, may I have my thread back?

Anyhoo, I decided last weekend that I'd had enough of my internet connection dropping every time I logged in to either the Zyxel or Asus, or restarted my PC so it got "thrown" (along with my rattle, bottle and teddy bear) and replaced by the HG612. Today, I found another thread to do with resetting the VMG1312 (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20731.0.html) and decided that if others can have a strong, stable connection using their Zyxel, I can't see why I can't have one too.  :P  The other thread made mention of their Zyxel having Arnold and Arnold settings which made me pause because mine too had A&A settings when I first logged in. I thought I could just delete those settings and set my Zyxel up as a bridge but it appears to be more complicated than that.

So I've followed B*cat's reset instructions in that thread but I get an error message telling me that the save_default clean isn't recognised. I've pressed ahead anyway as logging in to the webgui showed that the A&A settings had gone and so, as of this moment, I have a connection to the internet. I did restart my PC just afterwards and the connection dropped but reconnected after I logged in to the Zyxel and just switched between screens without changing anything.

I do wonder if this has anything to do with the connection between the Zyxel's lan port and the Ewan on the Asus and if I don't have the settings quite right? I'm getting stats from the Zyxel off a second cable, that part appears to be ok.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »

Could also be a faulty ZyXel.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655
Pages: [1] 2