Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTC provision & postcode checker  (Read 7876 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC provision & postcode checker
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »

Thank you for your help BlackSheep I am indebted to you.  And reassured that at least the infrastructure is there, even if maybe capacity is somewhat lacking right now.

Ian

Not a problem at all, Ian.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »

although I don't know the phone number of the house in question.

Easy.

Use        https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/

Put a      *     in the name space.

Then put     CF43 4HG     in the post code space.
Search      that should give you an idea of a non ex directory number for that area.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »

I just tried the above on my own postcode, and I wasn't in the result. Perhaps I'm just a figment of my own imagination. ;D
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »

I just tried the above on my own postcode, and I wasn't in the result. Perhaps I'm just a figment of my own imagination. ;D
;D
or you are ex-directory  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »

No, I'm not. :)
  Eric

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »

Easy.

Use        https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/

Put a      *     in the name space.

Then put     CF43 4HG     in the post code space.
Search      that should give you an idea of a non ex directory number for that area.

I just tried this on my postcode and it worked.  I could see my number and those of some of my neighbours.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »

So the curious cat tried that experiment, using the postcode which Ian had shown in his opening post. Four entries were returned, so I checked them randomly . . . and eventually I discovered that --

Telephone Number 01443733836 on Exchange FERNDALE is served by Cabinet 20

The data for that circuit was very respectable for a G.993.2 service and the output also showed that FTTPoD could be ordered.

Working with the address which is associated with the above telephone number then gave me the means to locate the serving telephony exchange. The "fibre twin" to PCP20 appears to be located at the junction of Lake Street and Strand, outside the Ferndale Boys Club. (Unfortunately it is, indeed, equipped with an ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41.  :(  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »

So the curious cat tried that experiment, using the postcode which Ian had shown in his opening post. Four entries were returned, so I checked them randomly . . . and eventually I discovered that --

The data for that circuit was very respectable for a G.993.2 service and the output also showed that FTTPoD could be ordered.

Working with the address which is associated with the above telephone number then gave me the means to locate the serving telephony exchange. The "fibre twin" to PCP20 appears to be located at the junction of Lake Street and Strand, outside the Ferndale Boys Club. (Unfortunately it is, indeed, equipped with an ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41.  :(  )

This is all fascinating and great fun, but 1) I don't really want to publicly give out my address and cabinet etc before I've even moved into the house  :)   and 2) I don't think the house in question is on PCP20 - I've confirmation from 2 different sources that it's a different one.

I haven't yet Google street view driven my way around the local area, but I did recognise the street you linked to as one I drove along when driving out of the area.  I must have more of a look around !

Ian

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »

@burakkucat

The only postcode I can see in the opening post is the postcode of the exchange so I'm not sure what your lookup achieved!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »

Ian has been very polite in saying .... the results are absolute s£$%.  :) :)

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »

I just tried this on my postcode and it worked.  I could see my number and those of some of my neighbours.

Didn't work for my own postcode of 12 flats but does work for the street we are on! Interesting.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 09:11:16 PM »

Did it give you a page 2 to look at?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »

So the curious cat tried that experiment, using the postcode which Ian had shown in his opening post.
I understood Ian's opening post to be giving the postcode of the local exchange, not the site of his proposed new shed! :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3