Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm moving.... to Wales! (probably)  (Read 1599 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
I'm moving.... to Wales! (probably)
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »

After lots of delays and uncertainty, I've found a house I like, 45 minutes drive North of Cardiff.  :sun:

The sale of my late Father's house has gone wrong several times, but is now nearing completion.  If it all goes well, I could be in Wales by early summer.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: I'm moving.... to Wales! (probably)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:11 PM »

My commiserations, Ian.

Ha, seriously ..... good luck with the move. My ex in-laws are from the Rhondda Valley, which was about 40mins from Cardiff, or thereabouts, if memory serves ???

Are you moving around there ??

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »

My commiserations, Ian.

Ha, seriously ..... good luck with the move. My ex in-laws are from the Rhondda Valley, which was about 40mins from Cardiff, or thereabouts, if memory serves ???

Are you moving around there ??

Yes, near to Ferndale as far as I can work out.  I'm not that familiar with the geography around there yet.  I like Cardiff, but couldn't afford anything too near the city.  This place came up surprisingly cheap, and the countryside nearby is lovely.

I've just discovered a problem though - posted to the FTTC forum - despite what the Rightmove website (and compare the market) told me, there doesn't seem to be FTTC at the address, and the ADSL estimate is 3mb  :o

I shall have to sit and look at the countryside views while my web pages are loading.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »

I loved the Rhondda for the scenery, especially on a sunny day.

I've had a very quick perusal around Ferndale and there's plenty of Cabs showing as having an FTTC twin ...... I would have to have more info obviously, to gauge whether your postcode has similar ??.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:07 PM »

If it all goes well, I could be in Wales by early summer.

Your first task will be to erect a shed, add solar-panels to its roof and then have FTTS (fibre to the shed) installed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »

ADSL estimate is 3mb
I shall have to sit and look at the countryside views while my web pages are loading.

That's all I get when the wind is in the correct direction and my pages load ok.  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:26:24 AM »

Your first task will be to erect a shed, add solar-panels to its roof and then have FTTS (fibre to the shed) installed.  :)

The house already has two sheds, although one of them is rotten and I shall probably take it down.  Hoping to take my own shed along with me though.  And it's solar panels.

Fibre To The Shed?  Ooh! I shall phone Martlesham first thing in the morning and get it ordered.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 01:30:29 AM »

That's all I get when the wind is in the correct direction and my pages load ok.  :D

If I don't get FTTC then Kitz forum will get endless posts from me about how I gained 2k extra download bandwidth with 3 (not 4) twists of the cable around a ferrite with mystic crystals hanging nearby.

Ian

anything