Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Donations to Kitz Site  (Read 5118 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Donations to Kitz Site
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

Hello all,
I made a donation to the site this morning via PayPal, and would be more than happy to do so again.

Until quite recently I had been donating to Tony as a small gesture and in order to say thank you to him for providing such a useful tool as MyDSLWebStats. These donations were made automagically via PayPal once per month from the time I set it up until February 2018. I would be quite happy to make a similar arrangement in favour of kitz.co.uk if someone can tell me how I can set up a regular payment via PayPal. It would certainly be a great help if this could be automated, as my memory ain't what it used to be - plenty of senior moments and I just keep forgetting 'stuff'.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Donations to Kitz Site
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »

Thank you :)

if someone can tell me how I can set up a regular payment via PayPal.

I'm afraid I can't take "subscriptions" for a couple of reasons.
  • The additional PP processing fee would negate any donations I do receive.  Whilst I have received several donations the past month (thank you!) more often than not I don't get any and if I do then the $10 processing fee on top of them taking their usual 3.4% + 20p commission would wipe out most of the funds I do get.
  • Subscriptions would come under tighter regulation for GDPR.  Its one of the reasons I don't run a subscription based forum which would provided preferential services or areas to members who subscribe.  To do so, I'd need to keep & store records of who has subscribed.   At the moment I don't and any personally identifying records for donations are held by paypal..  thus they are responsible for GDPR requirements (I note they sending out new Legal agreements this week). 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:29:23 AM »

Ok, thanks for explaining that. I just didn't make the connection with GDPR, but I do understand where you are coming from.

I will therefore use another method to remind me to make a donation each month starting in April, and I hope that will help to lighten your load a little.

Mick

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »

Update

I now have a donate button which should allow automatic donations which is available from the RH side of this page.

Please note that if anyone does use this,  I will not be storing any personal data nor be able to set up anything to send automated thank you replies as I don't want the additional GDPR burdens.  All data will be held solely by PP who are currently making their systems GDPR compliant.

----
Thank you to Tony for his help and sharing some of his code allowing me to cobble something together.   The problem I had was that the kitz site PP account is a Premier account and at some point within the past year PP stopped UK residents from opening new Premier accounts and generation of any new buttons...  forcing business rates for recurring payments. MDWS was also the same type account and I was able to rehash his code with the site id and it seems to be working ok.  Thanks also to Tony for testing the code and donating
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »

[slightly OT]
@kitz
Does the banner ad at the top of the page generate revenue:
1. If the page is reloaded?
2. When the ad is clicked?
3. Only the first time one of the above happens?
4. When the ad is clicked and the product is bought?
5. Something else?

I know revenue has to reach a certain threshold before payment is made, and I am aware that the actual amount is relatively small, but maybe I can help a little by changing my viewing habits. At the moment I ignore the ads completely. Thanks.
[/slightly OT]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:26 AM »

It depends on the advertiser I think.  With google ads the advertisers bid and I dont think you get to choose whether its pay per click or pay per view.

The ISP ones are all when product is bought.   At one time I used to do ok with those, but over the past few years I've been getting a lot of clawbacks which strongly suggest they've been here, then bought through one of the cash back sites. Now I may get about £20 every few months so I may just remove them and ditch it completely and try doing all PPC or PPV.   
The main site gets most of the visits so not much point me moaning here really, but I am going to have to do a serious rethink this year because it is getting increasingly hard when ad revenue isn't even meeting a tiny fraction of my hosting costs.   Its not that traffic has gone down, so it has to be ad-blockers.

I think it may be a sign of the times, its increasingly hard to keep smaller independent sites up and running.  Whilst I do understand the need for things like the DPA, Cookie Legislation and now GDPR its also becoming a mine field.   I am fully compliant with DPA and cookies but GDPR I wish to avoid.   It's still a grey area when it comes to forum software, but if they start lumping that in too, then I don't see how a lot of sites will be able to keep going.   There's been some discussions over on the SMF software forum about GDPR, but the consensus is that if you're not a subscription based forum then you should be ok. 

Not sure yet if it's even been thought through properly when it comes to IP addresses as no-one can seem to make up their minds.   In the end it may even turn out like cookie legislation.   I spent ages being fully compliant, then when D-day arrived it was suddenly realised that it was impossible for some .gov and EU sites to comply, so they relaxed the rules.  There's a lot of people waiting to see if the handling of IP's is also included as personal data and what about email addresses used to verify a sign-up and login.  I don't really see how they are going to enforce it....  or else a hell of a lot of blogs and community forums will have to close.   
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »

There's an increasing number of sites (e.g. local newspapers) where they detect if you have an ad blocker and prevent you reading the content until you turn it off. Have you looked at that?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 05:17:37 PM »

I looked at and tested this one a while back.   It's not something I really wanted to do, but I may have to :(

-----

Terry74

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »

This is an invaluable site. I've got so much useful information from here and unlocked my vmg8924-b10a router bought from that auction site with instructions found nowhere else. Been pleased to make a small donation.
Thanks kitz, and keep up the good work.
Terry

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »

Thank you.   I shall respond to you directly :)
-----