Announcements > News Articles

FTTP on Demand Order Capacity Still “Constrained” for All UK ISPs

(1/2) > >>

Bowdon:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/fttp-demand-order-capacity-still-constrained-uk-isps.html

--- Quote ---Openreach (BT) has issued a new notice to ISPs that sell their Gigabit capable FTTP on Demand broadband product, which reminds them of how “FoD capacity” will continue to be “constrained” by an “industry-wide operational capacity of 20 FoD orders per calendar month.”

The notice proceeds to say that “this is in part due to our recent announcement on Fibre First and our subsequent increase in activity to support major FTTP build across the first wave of eight major UK cities. But also, as you know, FoD is not intended for major multi-sites network upgrade projects, for which there are more appropriate products in our portfolio.”
--- End quote ---

On the one hand I can understand why they are restricting FoD orders. But even if we discount residential customers, only 20 FoD orders per month across all ISP's in all the UK is extremely low.

On the other hand, the fact FoD is being overwelmed is an indication of how in demand full fibre is. That businesses and more recently residential people, are requesting quotes that have obviously overwelmed OR's system.

Now we know OR is restricting FoD, and we know their system is being overwelmed enough to put out a statement about it, I think we can say the demand for full fibre is there. Especially when even the 'niche' is pushing the boundaries.

If FTTP isn't at a business location then what else are they supposed to do?

j0hn:
If they charged a small fee for quotes they wouldn't have had the recent issues.
The amount of threads on TBB about FTTPod recently has been extremely high. There's probably been hundreds of users who are "just curious" asking the likes of Cerberus for a quote.

If there was even a £10 fee for the rough quote then anyone just curious would likely not pay.
Anyone willing to spend £10k+ for FTTP would pay £10 in a heart beat.

Bowdon:
I've no doubt that you are right saying about everyone probably called in for a free quote (everyone likes something for free).

But I still think there would be more and more people serious about FoD as time went on.

I've heard that the cost of the FoD process, installation costs etc, is more expensive than regular FTTP.

So I wonder if there is going to be another announcement about FTTP expanding soon.

We've not heard much about that 'deal' being done at the back end of last year: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/openreach-find-broad-support-large-scale-uk-fttp-broadband-rollout.html - Openreach Find “broad support” for Large Scale UK FTTP Broadband Rollout

Dwight:
These two news articles I think show the real issue.
1. Demand is there.
2. Open reach can't meat that demand FOD or otherwise
3. Smaller firms and councils need to recognize that and file the void.
Other wise we will be left behind with an antiquated system which we invented. Like the railways ended up!

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on March 14, 2018, 02:46:27 PM ---On the one hand I can understand why they are restricting FoD orders. But even if we discount residential customers, only 20 FoD orders per month across all ISP's in all the UK is extremely low.

On the other hand, the fact FoD is being overwelmed is an indication of how in demand full fibre is. That businesses and more recently residential people, are requesting quotes that have obviously overwelmed OR's system.

--- End quote ---

While 20 FoD orders per month seems very low, if you read the ISPReview page, it becomes clear that Openreach are only receiving around 10 FoD orders/month so I think its wrong to assume that this statement is an indication of how strong demand for full fibre is.

As j0hn says, I think may have just applied for a free desktop survey to see what the estimated costs would be... and ultimately, you have to accept the point that FoD is very resource intensive/expensive and that such resources would be better directed towards 'native' FTTP deployments (such as OR's plans for 3 million FTTP customers by 2020) which will benefit many more individuals at a lower cost due to economies of scale.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version