Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

BTWholesale test showing red on download

(1/1)

MrMike:
Can anyone let me know if this is just some banding on my line and I'll have to live with it, or something else that might need investigating by BT? The BTWholesale speed test shows a red bar for the download speed and tells me that some extra tests maybe required to carry out. I have not yet proceeded with that test, wanted to run it by you guys first.

Some background: I previously had a HG612 connected to my EdgeRouter X. The modem stayed sync'd for 32 days with no resync's or retrains. Today I have installed a VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode to the EdgeRouter, which was classed as new on eBay (it's clean and still had it's protective plastic wrapper on so I can believe this). The download and upload speeds on the BTWholesale speed test are identical between both modems. Running the speed test when on the HG612 also showed a red bar for the download speed. I am on BT Infinity 2 as I wangled a discount whereby it was cheaper than the standard priced Infinity 1.

I am on an ECI cabinet since 2013 and whereas I've lost 3-4Mb/s on the download since first getting FTTC installed presumably due to cross-talk, the upload speed has suffered the most going from 7.5Mb/s to the current 4.3Mb/s. I am interleaved which has been the case for a long time, hoping G.INP helps when we eventually see it. I'm on exchange code SLPN cabinet 13.

I have attached some modem stats in a text file and some images. If needed, I can share more of the ES etc. stats once the modem has been online for 24 hours to gauge a better interpretation.

kitz:
Unless I'm missing something obvious I can't understand why the line is red.
The acceptable range of speeds of 40 - 41.46Mbps seems a very narrow window.

- Line is syncing at 42837 with an SNRM of 6.1dB and doesn't appear to be banded.
 - Sync speed is within acceptable parameters for your line length.
 - IP Profile of 41.46 is spot on for your sync speed.

Download speed of 40Mbps for an IP profile of 41.46 is definitely OK.  In fact if you're syncing at 42837 a throughput speed of 40Mbps is excellent.

I think the error is in how the speedtester has calculated the acceptable range of speeds as its not allowing much for any overheads and the min figure of 40Mbps is incorrect. I'm syncing at 20Mbps more than you and my acceptable range is 40 - 70.3Mbps. 

Its looking like the lower figure of 40Mbps may be some sort of default min for lines provisioned at 80/20.

tommy45:
The 40mbps minimum is the default value i think there is only 2 values available 40 and 60mbps  as they are the only 2 i have ever seen

renluop:
I hesitate to interrupt, not being fibre, but BTw showed nonsense kast evening and earlier this morning.
Last evening it was 0 upspeed, and latency 317.5 ms, this morning download 26.17 Mbps-4x more than line is capable of.

Apologies for any irrelevance.

MrMike:
Thank you for your responses. A further question that I have, (I am a complete novice and just posting my observations). As previously mentioned, the HG612 both the up and down SNRM hovered around 6 throughout the 32 days of continuous sync. Of course they both fluctuated throughout the course of the day with the downstream SNRM dropping to around 5.6 at it's lowest before rising back to 6. But in the 7 hours that the VMG8924-B10A has been online the downstream SNRM has slowly dropped and it's currently at 5 with the upstream still at 6. Is this normal and can be ignored? I just found it odd seeing as the HG612 averaged out at 6 and never dropped that low. For reference my BT Smart Hub used to see the SNRM of the downstream drop like this too. I could never decide if it were a fault with the Smart Hub or not as that thing had the dreaded 14 day reboot cycle that many have experienced with the Smart Hub.

If this is of any relevance, I am seeing around 4 - 5 ES's per hour both up and down and between 10 - 15 CRC's per hour. Currently no SES or UAS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version