Announcements > News Articles

Stoke-on-Trent to Deploy 1Gbps Broadband to Homes and Businesses

(1/1)

Bowdon:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/stoke-trent-deploy-1gbps-broadband-homes-businesses.html

--- Quote ---The central England city of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire UK has today announced a new deal with Swedish FTTH provider VXFIBER, which pledges to roll-out an “open access” and Gigabit capable “full fibre” (FTTP/H) broadband network to cover both “residents and businesses.”

Apparently the operator’s “initial project” will focus on bringing their 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) network to the Ceramic Valley Enterprise Zone, which is a 140 hectare site used by local businesses (around 1,000 people work in the area).

Under this scheme the local council will retain “complete ownership of the city ring fibre network,” indeed it already owns the main ducts across the city and will utilise these to “connect all parts of the city“. VXFIBER will then “light up” the fibre and supply the platform for ISPs to build and launch their own services to run over the network.
--- End quote ---

Another smaller fibre network company firing its opening shots to supply full fibre.

My recent rants about why can these smaller companies layout fibre like this yet OR seems to miss opportunities is still valid. I'm beginning to think OR, or I should say, BT, mindset is still partly that of when it was nationalised. Like most government groups seem to always choose the path of least expensive, which then makes the whole project take longer and longer. If these new fibre companies keep appearing and are able to carry out their plans then OR is going to be on the backfoot. Though to be fair to the OR people, I think the people in charge now have known this and thats why the sudden acceptance of the full fibre future idea as come about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version