Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

New Huawei modem suggestions for FTTC please?

(1/2) > >>

AnthonyG:
I was hoping someone could recommend a new Huawei modem for me please. The reason I am asking this is because I currently have a Huawei HG612 (with the latest custom firmware from this forum on it). But my internet connection is stabilising at only 32.6mb/s.

My next door neighbour however on my semi-detached house is getting a stable connection of 43.8mb/s. We are both served by the same Huawei FTTC cabinet (for definite its a Huawei).

My setup;
MK3 VDSL Plate > HG612 modem > Asus AC56U Router with latest Merlin Firmware.

My next door neighbour;
MK4 VDSL Plate > BT Smart Hub 6 modem router doing everything.

I am on Plustnet. My Neighbour BT. But they used to be on Plusnet and got the same speeds as they do now. I have no issues with my line according to DSL checker (no line taps or anything).

I tried upgrading from my MK2 Faceplate to a brand new MK3 and my speeds have actually dropped by ~1-2mb/s but I am not going to put the MK2 back as everywhere I have read the MK3 is better.

My next step is I am thinking of replacing the Huawei HG612 as its an old modem and I am thinking new tech/chipsets may have improved on it from Huawei.

I have seen a mention of a HG658c that people are buying from ebay as Vodaphone give them away for free and adding custom firmware to this. But I am not sure if this is the latest model as googling about it. It seems this was released in 2014 so I am thinking there may be a newer model.

I am in two minds of just getting myself a BT Smart Hub 6 and using this as just a modem. But I am not sure from all I have read you should match your modem with the FTTC cabinet.

Any suggestions to get my internet speeds up to those similar to my neighbour please?

skyeci:
hub6 cannot be just a modem. it does not support bridge mode.

broadstairs:
I would not bother with a Huawei modem/router as some of them can be problematic getting stats from (if you use DSLStats) and most are ex-ISP which can also lead to problems. I currently have a Netgear D6220 which will run in bridge mode and works well (as a combined unit) on my ECI cabinet and runs DSLStats OK. I have not tried it in bridge mode. Not sure if you can load alternative f/w on it as I have not investigated that. I have also had ZyXEL VMG8234/8924/3925 units which I also believe will run as modem only but again I've always used them as combined units.

Stuart

roseway:
As others have said, forget about Huawei. For use in bridge mode, many people here would recommend the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A. Make sure that you get the B10A version, not the B10D. I've personally used the Zyxel VMG8324 in bridge mode, and found it excellent too.

jelv:
Could you confirm that the speed difference you are reporting is a difference in modem sync speed and not the results from speed tests?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version