Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Glitch with the 'new' button?  (Read 3818 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Glitch with the 'new' button?
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »

... clicking on the 'new' button will always take you to the first unread post if there are any new additions to the thread.

Is it just me, or has anyone else found that on this thread the 'new' button takes them to somewhere near the start of the thread?

If it's just me, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  :baby:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Glitch with the 'new' button?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »

It takes me here which is mbb's post this afternoon.

The fact that it takes you to an earlier post, has to mean that there are earlier posts not yet read by you.    The forum software keeps track of posts/pages that you have read and will alert if there's a new post.   

The 'new' will likely be different for everyone depending upon which what you've read in the past.   Its possibly taken you back to near the beginning due to the fact that there were unread posts from before you joined the forum.  Today's post has brought a relatively old topic back up to the top of the thread list in the board which is why you're likely seeing it for the first time today.

-----------

Without looking in great depth it looks like when you joined the forum you may have just skim read the first page.  Before today, the last post was Oct 2017, which was prior to you joining.

Some of the posts in there by WG may no longer exist as Im sure anyone who was around at the time will recall, we had to frequently modify and/or remove his posts, so some of the numbering may be missing too.  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »

It doesn't work quite as well as some forum software in that it doesn't keep track of which individual posts/pages you have read.

On that same topic when I used the new link on the board index it took me to page 2 as I have not been following that topic. I then from the pages links at the top selected page 4 (i.e. I skipped page 3). I then went back to the board index and clicked new again. If it had been keeping track of the individual posts/pages it should have taken me to the first post on page 3, but it didn't - it took me to the first post on page 5.

This means it keeps a record of the last post you have 'read' (if there are more pages that will be the bottom post on the page even if you haven't scrolled down far enough to read it). When you click new against the topic it will take you to the post following the last 'read' - even if that post was months ago. I suggest that if you think of the button as being 'unread' rather than 'new' it may make more sense of the way it behaves.

Edit:
Also, unlike other forum software, there isn't a button to mark the whole topic as read - just a mark unread button which marks all the posts on the current page as unread.

If you don't want to go through all 20+ pages just click on the last page number in the list of pages to go to the last page and that will mark the whole topic as read.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:42:13 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »

It took me to the bottom of page 1,
to this post.
I have the forum set to show 50 posts per page.

I wouldn't call it a glitch though. I've read every post in that thread (I made the last post). The "new" button would not have appeared for me. I do wonder why it chose to take me to that particular post.

Spotting the thread regarding the "new" button has made my reading of the forum so much easier. I was unaware previously it was a clickable icon and now use it for every thread I read.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for the explanation. The first time I followed the link it also took me to page 1. I then skipped to the last page, and the next time it took me to page 2. Now I understand why!

Not a glitch...a feature  :D

anything