Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

what to do in advance of engineer visit?

(1/7) > >>

EFT:
Hello all,

Very occasional lurker. But since first visiting and switching to HG612 and good SP08 FW have not had any reason to.

Have had consistent line performance for past three or four years now. I get 27 down and 5.7 up.

For the past fortnight I've experienced repeated disconnects. Over the weekend my speed was down to 12 down and 244 bits up!

Have reported a noisy line and have an appointment booked.

Am guessing I need to dig out my HH5 from its box and swap out my HG612 before he/she arrives? Just checking it's the right thing to do?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

E.

jelv:
If the line is noisy with the modem and router disconnected and the phone plugged direct in to the test socket without a filter you don't need to do anything except perhaps try a different handset.

EFT:
My question was more about whether or not the BT engineer will not like the sight of seeing my unlocked HG612 plugged in as my modem as opposed to the older supplied TR069 rebooting HH5 Type A?

That thing caused me to endure months of problems and performance - which mysteriously all went away once I read the helpful advice available on this forum.

I didn't have the time to go through the usual call centre script telling me to 'see how things are for a few days' - so reporting noise on the line seemed to get an appointment made much quicker.

Plus I am on FTTC service so I think I've posted to the wrong forum!

jelv:
If you've reported a noisy line it will be a engineer looking at a telephone fault not a broadband fault. What modem you have connected is irrelevant. In any case even if he was looking at a broadband fault he wouldn't be bothered by a HG612.

Don't forget he will be an Openreach engineer, not a BT engineer, who deals with faults for all ISPs.

Black Sheep:
As jelv points out .....

If you have reported a noisy line, your service provider will perform an electrical line test on the pair of wires that run from the Tel Exchange to your premises.
It depends on what this test result reveals as to how the task should progress ??

I haven't time to go through all scenario's, but I can tell you that if the test is LTOK (Line Tests OK), then a 'Voice only' engineer will turn up at your premises and perform three of his own tests that your service provider will also have vision of ....

1) Eclipse/Fast Test 2 - basically a remote test exactly like your service provider carried out when you spoke with them.
2) PQT (Pair Quality Test) - basically a test of the pair of wires but more in-depth.
3) QLT (Quiet Line Test) - basically, listening to an automated voice service to ascertain if there is any audible noise on the line.

If any one of the 3 tests fail, then subsequent action should be taken to repair the issue. If they all pass, then someone has to pay the bill for us turning up ??!!.

So, long story short ............ I hope it is an actual audible noisy line you have.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version