Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How did we do? - message on mobile  (Read 5614 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Re: How did we do? - message on mobile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »

That does sound credible.

Then again, I use Google Maps all the time on my iPhone, because it is better by far than Apple Maps.   i have never seen any nuisance messages or notifications.   On the Notifications settings, only option is “background navigation instructions”.   It is disabled, though I’d be surprised if enabling it gave rise to this problem?

I haven't use Gmaps on iOS, so can't be sure but maybe the settings for it are different within the iOS environment? I know Apple are very strict with apps and on what they can and can't do. iOS has only just got a decent Reddit app hasn't it.

Another difference, that I still consider to be a biggie, is that being an iOS device, I do not have to, and never do, actually sign into Google.  So it would be harder for them to identify me, and send me personalised location-based advertising.   It might be interesting to try using the Android device whilst not signed in, but istr that with Android it was hard, if not impossible, to avoid signing into Google?

Of course, iOS  also provides strong incentives to sign in (to Apple), mine is always signed in to Apple, but I have never been pestered in that way.

No, you get to use iCloud instead. That's far safer, right... right? ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:29:21 AM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

I haven't use Gmaps on iOS, so can't be sure but maybe the settings for it are different within the iOS environment?

Indeed, you can enable/disable notifications in Settings, on a per App basis.   Google Maps on mine  has notifications disabled.  Just one boolean, no more detail, happy to volunteer to turn it on, and see what happens.    :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »

OK, throwing  caution to the wind, I have enabled Gmaps notifications both in the App and in settings.   I have also fully enabled location access - previously it was set to “allow while using the App”, now it is set to “always”.

I will report back if anything happens.  But don’t hold your breath as I guess it may not happen until next time I go somewhere interesting, which doesn’t happen often these days. :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Yes I'm a local guide and proud to contribute where I can.

7LM Just remember who started the Android/Google bashing in this thread, it's always going to be a subject likely to create heated debate  ;) If you don't have a Google account you probably won't get any notifications, but will be interesting to hear if you do.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »

Yes I'm a local guide and proud to contribute where I can.

7LM Just remember who started the Android/Google bashing in this thread, it's always going to be a subject likely to create heated debate  ;) If you don't have a Google account you probably won't get any notifications, but will be interesting to hear if you do.

I do have a Google account indirectly, as my email is hosted by Google Apps, or whatever it is called these days.   But whilst that means the native iOS mail App is signed in to Google, and it can sync my contacts with Google, I don’t think Google Maps App can legitimately inherit that sign in, whereas I think maybe it can on Android?

Talking of Google accounts, by logging into Google at a browser and navigating the account settings, there is a whole proliferation of other privacy-related buttons.  I have always endeavoured to lock down as tight as possible and deny them as much access as possible, but can’t recall... could any of these settings affect this behaviour?

In fairness, yes of course, Apple’s iCloud knows just as much about me and my movements as Google would like to know.   But I have never seen any evidence of that being used for commercial spamming.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »

OK, throwing  caution to the wind, I have enabled Gmaps notifications both in the App and in settings.   I have also fully enabled location access - previously it was set to “allow while using the App”, now it is set to “always”.

Living life on the edge eh!?  :D

@Ronski, Indeed, its people like us who update, add, move places etc which make Gmaps as good as it is now, and why its so much better than the competition.

In fairness, yes of course, Apple’s iCloud knows just as much about me and my movements as Google would like to know.   But I have never seen any evidence of that being used for commercial spamming.
No, you just get your nudes posted online instead.  :D
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 11:51:37 AM »

Does your dad have Free Sky  WiFi or the cloud WiFi on his phone. ?

We went to Leeds last year and in a shopping center I sat down while my family went shopping.
I wanted to know what time trains were back to Harrogate, so my iphone is set up to use above Free WiFi,  There was a coffee bar in front of me and I think I used there free WiFi.
In a couple of days we got back home and when my phone connected to my home WiFi I got a message asking how (the name of this coffee bar) had done when we visited two days ago. :-\   :o

Had the same happen when just walking by a Free WiFi hot spot.
When my phone connects they collect the phones WiFi connection email address.
Just mark them as 'Junk'.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »

Certainly, as a rule, I avoid connecting to WiFi when travelling.   My needs are modest, and mobile data is cheap enough.

Even without connecting, they (Google, Apple) can still figure out that you were nearby, but the cafe or restaurant won’t generally know, unless Google or Apple tell them.  But if you actually connect, and supply an email during registration, you are handing it to them on a plate.

As a slight aside, 3rd party App publishers themselves can also get up to unpleasant skullduggery, as well as Apple and Google.   A while ago, as far as I understand, Uber wanted to get a version of their App into the iOS App Store.  But it broke certain privacy rules, meaning Apple would probably reject it.   The solution?   The Uber App monitored location and if it found itself at Cupertino, Apple HQ where iOS Apps validation is performed, it simply disabled the naughty bits.   Apple were reportedly not too pleased when they found out about it.    :D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/04/24/tim-cook-threatened-kick-uber-app-store-iphone-tracking/

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »

My Dad and me live in the same place. I also have an android phone too, the Samsung S4.

As far as wifi his phone is setup like mine, so it will auto connect when our home network comes in to range.

I haven't touched any settings with Gmaps and he doesn't use those apps. He just uses the basic phone side and sms'ing his friends.

The only main difference is the bluetooth. Unless of course he has touched something by mistake in the settings.

His phone as actually ran out of memory and there isnt room for the apps to install on there (the version of OS he's using doesn't let him use his memory card for apps). So he'll be getting a new phone soon.

We're visiting the hospital today. I don't know if they send out messages. But it'll be interesting to see lol

In the Android/iPhone debate. I like android but I don't like how they leave it up to phone manufacturers to push out the OS updates. I haven't had an OS update in years. My girlfriend had andriod too (shes the one who convinced me to update my "dumb" phone).. but now shes got an iPhone and loves how everything is more streamlined.

I guess it comes down to weighing up do you want to be locked down to a brand or not. There is both good and bad reasons to weigh.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »

If Gmaps is installed the notifications are on by default.

Next time you see the notif can you long press on it and see if it tells you what app is pushing it?

As for updates, I agree, the fragmentation from manufacturers is quite bad.
Samsung are unfortunately one of the worst offenders for slow updates. That said your phone is 5 years old now, and frankly end of life.

Apple have the advantage here as its such a closed environment, only they make the devices which means they only have to cater for around 10 different versions of iPhones at any one time, and only they use iOS, and they decide if the apps are good enough to be in the app store. Android is much more open and has devices for every manufacture out there from LG, Samsung, Oneplus and everyone in between - literally hundreds of different devices running different specs of different ages running different versions of Android. :)

You still haven't told us what his device is.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »

Worth confessing the one drawback of iOS updates policy;   Once you have updated there is no going back, they won’t allow you to revert to an older version.  And Apple being in absolute control, you can’t get around that.  If you find something doesn’t work with the new version, or you just don’t like it, then it’s tough luck.   

For that reason, I generally wait a few weeks before updating to a major new version, keeping an ear and an eye open for any complaints...

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »

You still haven't told us what his device is.

It is a Vodafone Smart 4 Mini.

It was a cheap phone to see if he could cope with a smartphone. Got it 3 years ago.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »

Worth confessing the one drawback of iOS updates policy;   Once you have updated there is no going back, they won’t allow you to revert to an older version.

If it helps, that's not quite true.  It's just a bit more involved.

Firstly, you need to have a backup of your phone from before the update is applied.  Assuming you have iCloud Backups enabled, you'll have one less than 24 hours old already.

After the update, should you wish to downgrade, all you need is a copy of the earlier version's OS image - the .ipsw file.  These can be downloaded directly from Apple's update servers -- check out https://ipsw.me

Then, connect your phone to your PC or Mac and start iTunes (downgrades cannot be done over-the-air).  Go to the phone summary page and look for the Check for Update button.

Now, hold Option (or Alt on Windows) whilst clicking that button.  You'll be shown a file selector.  Choose the .ipsw you downloaded and your phone will downgrade.

You can then follow the initial setup process and choose the iCloud backup to restore from at the appropriate point.  The UI clearly indicates which backups were made with each iOS version, and it won't allow you to restore a backup from an iOS version other than the one you've restored to.

A couple of notes:

• This will factory-restore your phone, hence the need to have a backup available to restore from.
  • As noted, you *absolutely* need a backup available that was taken by the iOS version you want to downgrade to.  iCloud backups might not cover all data, depending on how installed applications treat their data (apps can exclude their own data from iCloud backups).  To ensure you have a *complete* backup, take one via iTunes, ensuring you enable backup encryption -- iTunes won't backup sensitive info to an unencrypted backup
  • You cannot revert to any random iOS version.  The .ipsw signatures are verified with Apple before installation, and they withdraw signing for old versions of iOS (more than ~1 year old, if I remember correctly).  This isn't a problem in practice, since you'll be unlikely to decide to revert after several months of using the updated version.

Cheers,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:09:59 PM by displaced »
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »

they withdraw signing for old versions of iOS (more than ~1 year old, if I remember correctly).

I think you’ll find that Apple usually stop signing old iOS just a few weeks after a new iOS release, rather than a year.  Hence why I generalised that they won’t let you revert to earlier versions - but you are right, if you act quickly, within a week or two, Apple may still sign the old version.   

Happy to be proven wrong and that the ‘overlap’ it is a year.   In fact I’d be positively delighted, but I do believe a week or two is the norm.   :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:00:45 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »

Hmm...  It does seem a bit more complex.

From https://api.ineal.me/tss/status, which lists the signing status of each version for each device, it appears that the current and current-1 versions are signed.

Now, whether it's a rule that current and current-1 are always signed is unknown. 

The current version was released 29/03 and current-1 was released on 20/02.  Both are still signed.  So, it's currently possible to revert to a version released ~8 weeks ago, even if you've used the current version for ~4 weeks and decided you're unhappy with it.

It'll be interesting to see if current-1 gets unsigned in the coming days/weeks. I think the last time I did this sort of downgrade was back when we went from iOS 6 to 7, so either they've changed the duration or my memory is faulty (much more likely the latter!)

Either way, if an iOS update breaks something, you can revert to the previous version for a decent number of weeks.  In the meantime, you can spam Apple with tickets :D
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything