Kitz ADSL Broadband Information
adsl spacer  
Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum
   Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iMessaging With Out A Sim Card.  (Read 512 times)

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
    • Free Download from.
iMessaging With Out A Sim Card.
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:09 PM »

On my wifes iphone4c With Out A Sim card in I tried sending an iMessage to my iphone4 and it worked much to my amazement. :)
I think because we have not only the phone number but email address added to the icloud accounts as I noticed it had used my wife's email address header for sending.
I have a set of 8 fixed IP's From my Eclipse isp.
BT ADSL2 line>HG612 set as a Modem, Bridge, WAN not Bound to LAN1 or 2 >Smoothwall (Hardware Firewall and routing) > Ethernet LAN, DMZ,WiFI LAN and Spare LAN .
DSLstats LAN2  linked Ethernet

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: iMessaging With Out A Sim Card.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »

Not surprised that it worked.  As long as the device has internet access via WiFi, no need for a sim card.

In Settings, you can configure whether to start new conversations using either Apple ID (your email address) or phone number.  I prefer to use phone number.

When sending iMessage from phone number rather than Apple ID I believe the phone number has to be one that is currently associated with your account, ie a valid SIM must be in one of your devices, but it could be a different device from the one in your hand.    For example, I can send and receive iMessages from my iPad, or my iMac PC, using the phone number of my iPhone.   :)