Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Westie's FTTC Stats  (Read 907 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Westie's FTTC Stats
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »

[Moderator note: This post and the subsequent replies thereto have been split off from a separate thread.]

As an aside I notice you are getting a few Err Secs on the upstream.   Its not major and not sufficient to bother DLM, but based on your speed and the fact it's on the upstream, then it won't harm to give your internal wiring a quick check.

@kitz Thanks for that information :thumbs:

Although my line has an attainable sync higher than many on MDWS, I too had a number of Err Secs on the upstream (apart from a couple of days when G.INP was applied to both upstream and downstream).

Edit (to remove the confusion highlighted in the following post): The Errors are probably because the modem is plugged into the last telephone socket on a run which goes all around the house, both upstairs and downstairs.

Today I have run a temporary dedicated line from a Mk3 VDSL faceplate on the master in the garage to the modem on the other side of the house, and voila! the Err Secs have stopped. If it stays like this for the next couple of days I'll have to run a permanent line...if the snow doesn't interfere!  :fingers:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:55:47 PM by burakkucat »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Westie's FTTC Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:14:06 AM »

Am I reading that right? Instead of connecting where your line is at its shortest (the master socket), you have added additional copper (increasing line length) and your ES have decreased? That seems very backwards to me. Perhaps something in the garage creating noise?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:14 AM »

What I didn't say was that the internal telephone wiring goes from the master socket to several extensions both upstairs and downstairs, and the modem was plugged into the last one - furthest from the garage. I have both shortened the copper path, and removed potential interference.

The modem isn't in the garage because the WiFi signal can't get to the whole house from there (& there isn't a convenient power socket either. Ideally I should have a modem in the garage and run a cat5e cable to an AP in the house. At the moment I don't have the right equipment to do that, but I do have spare telephone cable.

Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should edit I have edited my earlier post, to clarify the original layout.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:58:38 AM by Westie »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 05:41:11 AM »

Ah, then what you describe now makes perfect sense, and would be the expected outcome.

Ideally I should have a modem in the garage and run a cat5e cable to an AP in the house. At the moment I don't have the right equipment to do that, but I do have spare telephone cable.

That would be the optimum setup. Do you get a higher sync in the garage?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »

I'm on a 40/10 product and syncing at 39999/9999, so to be honest I haven't tried.  ;D

anything