Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unexpected message in router logs  (Read 1482 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Unexpected message in router logs
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:11:12 PM »

I had a couple of message from MDWS a couple of days ago saying I was not uploading and then an OK message, checked DSLStats but nothing on event log so assumed perhaps MDWS had a problem. The checking the system log on my router today I saw these two messages

Code: [Select]
Feb 26 01:54:19 user.notice zcmd: System: Wan interface VDSL connection lost
Feb 26 03:38:15 user.notice zcmd: System: Wan interface VDSL connection ready

however DSLStats did not see any errors at these timings from the event log and the DSL uptime is 30+ days. OK at this time of night no one here is using the net although my weather PC runs 24x7 uploading which is the one DSLStats runs on. What cold cause loss of VDSL on WAN for that long without dropping the sync.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Unexpected message in router logs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »

Would I be correct in assuming that you gave the WAN interface the name "VDSL" when you originally defined the interface?

What I'm trying to rationalise is that if you had named the interface "zyxxy" then you would have seen --

Code: [Select]
Feb 26 01:54:19 user.notice zcmd: System: Wan interface zyxxy connection lost
Feb 26 03:38:15 user.notice zcmd: System: Wan interface zyxxy connection ready

We really need to see the context of, say three lines, around both of those two messages.

What cold cause loss of VDSL on WAN for that long without dropping the sync.

Am I interpreting your query correctly? That the WAN interface connection was reported "lost" at 01:54:19 and was reported "ready" 03:38:15 with nothing else logged in between those two messages?

Perhaps a problem with the device's system logging process?  :shrug2:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »

Those two are the only messages in the log and I have selected System PPPoE and xDSL as the items being logged. Obviously MDWS was not seeing uploads so it seems that there was no internet connection. Sadly due to the time it happened I have no idea how things looked. However DSLStats did not record anything in its event log except the usual issues with SNRM flapping up and down as it has been doing for a few weeks now. As for the name yes it is set as VDSL and the other two ADSL and ETHWAN although the latter are not active. It is all a puzzle, perhaps logging does not see the correct name despite the GUI showing correct names.

I was wondering if any work could happen on a cabinet which would affect VDSL but without dropping sync?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »

I was wondering if any work could happen on a cabinet which would affect VDSL but without dropping sync?

I can't think of anything. I guess it needs to be filed under the heading of one of life's little mysteries.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything