Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Issues with FTTC since changing providers  (Read 4266 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Issues with FTTC since changing providers
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »

Several years ago there was a batch of faulty line cards on one particular type of (adsl) DSLAM.   It caused all lines on that particular line card to flap and exhibit REIN like symptoms. 

Azzaka from Zen will recall, because at that time it was quite hard to identify where some faults were REIN or if it was one of the faulty cards.
The solution was to order a new line card and move everyone over the the new one.  From what the engineer this morning told you, then it is possible to be a faulty card to be affecting several people in the same area.      It can take a couple of weeks to order new cards and then they will have to arrange someone to fit it which could cause a small amount of downtime whilst they swap everyone over. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »

Regarding escalating with Openreach, I may be wrong (as I don't work for Openreach!) but as far as I know it gives the engineers more flexibility on the job and I think access to previous notes and ISP input too (e.g. in regards to time constraints and what they can do). I'm sure Black Sheep or any other Openreach engineer that may be on this forum can correct me or clarify further.

Assuming it's the same thing, I had my line problem escalated after the first SFI engineer (by AAISP via TalkTalk Business/Wholesale).

Suffice to say my thread detailing my experience is on the forum somewhere if you're curious, shouldn't be hard to find.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

When I was with BT I used to check my modem stats occasionally, out of curiosity rather than necessity and I remember both g.INP and Vectoring being enabled on my line.

No such luck since the switch to Plusnet, unfortunately.

Vectoring isn't controlled by DLM profiles like that. It's enabled cabinet wide.

To me, faulty fibre port makes more sense (as opposed to REIN excuse) as it coincides with the issue I had initially with the modem taking a long time to retrain after a resync. That was resolved by moving my line to another fibre port.

That's not a fault, but a consequence of Vectoring. It takes considerably longer for a line to sync with Vectoring enabled.

If the line no longer takes ages to resync, and Vectoring is no longer enabled, then they disabled it on the cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:21 PM »

Vectoring isn't controlled by DLM profiles like that. It's enabled cabinet wide.

That's not a fault, but a consequence of Vectoring. It takes considerably longer for a line to sync with Vectoring enabled.

If the line no longer takes ages to resync, and Vectoring is no longer enabled, then they disabled it on the cabinet.

Hi j0hn ..... do you mean the whole Cabinet may have had vectoring disabled ?? I do know that vectoring can be disabled on individual ports if required.

Just for clarification purposes, really.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »

Regarding escalating with Openreach, I may be wrong (as I don't work for Openreach!) but as far as I know it gives the engineers more flexibility on the job and I think access to previous notes and ISP input too (e.g. in regards to time constraints and what they can do). I'm sure Black Sheep or any other Openreach engineer that may be on this forum can correct me or clarify further.

Assuming it's the same thing, I had my line problem escalated after the first SFI engineer (by AAISP via TalkTalk Business/Wholesale).

Suffice to say my thread detailing my experience is on the forum somewhere if you're curious, shouldn't be hard to find.

Openreach do operate a very successful 'High Level Complaints' team.

As Ixel points out, if the ISP/OR identify that a case is warranted, the 'Nominated engineer' (Chosen by the boss of that particular patch) then receives the subsequently-built HLC task.

Before visiting site, they have to call the HLC team to talk through the previous engineers findings, test results, current graphical data, etc etc .... they can also have an e-mail sent to them containing this same info if they wish, for their own perusal/interpretation ??

Regarding task-time ..... this 'monkey on our back' is always there, regardless of what kind of task it is ...... but a HLC task affords the engineer some protection of sorts, should they have a number-cruncher style gaffer  ;) ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »

From looking at the SNRM plot it seems, to me, that there is a defective joint. Whether it is a defective joint in the D-side, the PCP to fibre cabinet tie-cables or the harness, from the Krone blocks in the fibre cabinet to the connectors on the DSLAM line-card, I cannot say.

It is examples like the attached, below, which should be shared with Plusnet so that they, ultimately, could pass such information onto Openreach.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything